424 MK III User Manual Error Question

cbdunn

I just brought home my new MKIII. I am aware of the user manual errors on page 18. I have the new procedure as listed on the MKIII review page added to my user manual. Now, I am VERY new to this, but I am not stupid. I still cannot hear what I record. I have tried mic (channel 1) and guitar (channel 2). I am getting good signals through both (I have tried each individually.) I can see the levels peaking at no higher than 5. I can hear wonderfully through the headphones. Everything seems to work fine as I follow the steps as written. However, when I get to playback, I hear nothing but hiss (when I turn the levels all the way up) with a VERY faint sound of what I recorded (again, levels all the way up).

I have started from scratch (per the manual with the revised page 18 steps) over five times (Each time I start from the factory positions--everything off, all faders down, etc.). Each time I get the same results. I can hear what I am playing... I can hear when I am recording... I just can't hear anything when I play back.

I am using TDK SA 60 tapes. I am running at high speed. DBX is off.

As a former technical writer, I am not impressed with the manual. In addition, this is particularly frustrating because I can usually figure out things like this (electronics). But these "music electronics" seem much more difficult than other electronics I have used in the past.

I just need a step in the right direction and then a good reference book for the MKIII. Is the TASCAM tape they push on the outside of the MKIII box worth purchasing? Do you have any other recommendations as to how I might learn more about my new 4-track and eventually become a proficient home musician with this equipment? I am so new to this that I don't know exactly where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated--the more the merrier.

Chris
Minnesota

When you're playing back, are you listening through the monitor section or the tape cue section? If monitor section, make sure you have your assigns set correctly (make sure you have the proper 1/2 or 3/4 button pressed, and it corresponds to the way you have the channels panned), and the channel select switches set properly (not sure how the 424 is layed out, but make sure you don't still have the channels set to "line", and you have them set to "tape" or "safe"). If using the tape cue, make sure the tape cue level switches for each channel are turned up off of zero to about 2:00 or so. Use either the tape cue or the monitor, but not both. That's all I can come up with offhand, I'm not at home with my own machine (488 MKII) in front of me. Some of the things I've suggested may not pertain to the 424...sorry!

Thanks for the quick response ledhed, but I am still pretty much in the dark. I am using the following playback procedure after recording. (I at least know that I am recording because the levels (graphics) are jumping during recording. They are jumping during playback too, but I still can't hear anything.

Procedure

Set the EFFECT 2/TAPE CUE selection switch located below the LEVEL control to the right/TAPE CUE position.

Slide the MONITOR SELECT LINE OUT switch to the right OFF position.

Slide the MONITOR SELECT EFFECT/CUE switch to the center EFFECT 2/CUE position.

Press the RTZ key. The tape will rewind, automatically stopping at the zero counter point.

Press PLAY.

Locate the EFFECT 2/TAPE Cue level control on channel 1 and slowly turn it to the right. You’ll hear in center mono, what you recorded on track 1.

Turn the MONITOR LEVEL control up or down to the desired listening level.

Press STOP to stop play.

I also own a 424 MK3 and had the same sort of problem before I really got to know the machine. From what you have listed in your procedure after recording, you have to switch the MONITOR SELECT LINE OUT to the L-R position.

I also own a 424 MK3 and had the same sort of problem before I really got to know the machine. From what you have listed in your procedure after recording, you have to switch the MONITOR SELECT LINE OUT to the L-R position.

I just had the exact same problem. The fix for me was to switch the Effect/Cue switch to the middle position. I just about deafened myself, so be careful. Actually, I don't suspect you've been sitting around staring at your machine for two weeks with the same problem, but just in case...

People, people, people.

You all figured out solutions, but one thing to remember when playing through speakers is the flow chart in the back of the manual.

** The monitor Effect2/Tape cue function is NOT hooked up to the "Line Out" jacks. **

What comes from the Line Out jacks is only the signals passing though the master fader and the L-R switch.

If you want to use the Effect2/Tape Cue Monitoring method, you must hook your 424 to your stereo amp through the "Monitor Out" jacks in the back and then move the Monitor Level knob to about 2 o'clock position.

The "Monitor Out" jack however, is hooked up to both the "line out" signals AND the "monitor/tape Cue" signals.

Back