414 mki panning and fx questions

granto

I want to use a portastudio for performance purposes. For my final mix, I want to make sure 2 tracks are panned fully left, while 2 are panned fully right. The manual is a little cryptic about this so I just want to make sure I have it understand:

When doing a direct record of tracks 1-4, what will the panning of each of those tracks be? Does the pan pot on each track do anything when in direct record (i.e., if they are all in the middle, is that how it will turn out)?

Second, I want to send (but not return) effects from one side (L or R) as a mono signal to an outboard mixer. How can I make sure I am only sending one side? Assuming I'm able to hard pan 2 tracks to L and 2 tracks to R like I mention above, would it just be a matter of turning up the effect 1 knob on the correct tracks?

Now let's say I'm sending R out directly as usual, and I'm also sending R out of the effects send, so that I'm playing both at once. Is there a simple way to alter the balance between those two signals, like wet/dry? I see how I could turn the fx send down but if I turn down the fader on the channel I'm sending, won't both signals turn down?

Hello

I want to use a portastudio for performance purposes. For my final mix, I want to make sure 2 tracks are panned fully left, while 2 are panned fully right. The manual is a little cryptic about this so I just want to make sure I have it understand:
Ok

When doing a direct record of tracks 1-4, what will the panning of each of those tracks be?
Irrelevant

Does the pan pot on each track do anything when in direct record (i.e., if they are all in the middle, is that how it will turn out)?
The pan pot does nothing to the recorded track when in Direct Mode. It is irrelevant what position they are in.

Second, I want to send (but not return) effects from one side (L or R) as a mono signal to an outboard mixer. How can I make sure I am only sending one side? Assuming I'm able to hard pan 2 tracks to L and 2 tracks to R like I mention above, would it just be a matter of turning up the effect 1 knob on the correct tracks?
EDIT: To send Stereo-Out/R to an outboard mixer, you plug the cable to it.
EFF-SEND is a mono signal, a single output jack, but up to 4 channels can be bussed into EFF-SEND by using the pot on each channel strip. Just turn the EFF1 or EFF2 knob on the desired channel to send it to it's respective output. The Pan pot is not relevant to this question.

Now let's say I'm sending R out directly as usual, and I'm also sending R out of the effects send, so that I'm playing both at once. Is there a simple way to alter the balance between those two signals, like wet/dry? I see how I could turn the fx send down but if I turn down the fader on the channel I'm sending, won't both signals turn down?
You may have to clarify this one, but Stereo-Out/R and EFF-SEND are two separate signal (taps). Reasonable to say I don't understand the question, because everything is objective and patch-dependent. Rereading, I think I understand better. You may affect the balance of the outputs by varying the Stereo-Out/R and EFF-SEND independently, which would in turn vary the result you're getting.

Last edited:
Thank you. I misunderstood how tracks were recorded and was overcomplicating it, but if I have it right, they show up as a center mono mix. So after direct recording 4 signals at once I could simply pan the tracks as I see fit in my final mix, right?

Last edited:
Yes, exactly!

When you use "Direct Mode" recording, the signal that's in the #'d input is routed directly to it's corresponding #'d track.

The Pan control on the channel strip only comes into play when you use L/R-Buss mode recording, and only varies the signal left-to-right on the Stereo (stereo line out) buss. In L/R-Buss mode recording, the #'d tracks take their input signal from the L/R-Stereo buss.

Of course, the Pan also controls the L/R-Stereo image when in mixdown mode.

It might take some playing around and experimenting to understand these things.

Back