388 repair!

svenagain

hello there
got a working 388 last month (an aquaintence was spring cleaning and gave it to me!). everything seemed to be working fine until a couple of days ago. i was rewinding a tape when it stopped on its own. seems the right hand tape spindle is jamed some how. now it wont play, rewind, fast forward, or even move manually. can this be fixed easily or is this a major problem? i have little experience with tape machines and am not brave enough to open this thing myself. if i have to get someone to repair it can anybody suggest a shop in the atlanta, ga area?(does anybody work on 388's anymore?)
thanx

I'm sure there's somebody who does!

I know you said you don't want to work on this unit, so maybe get a friend to help.

First, (unplug the 388), take off the top cover that's just behind/above the VU meters. Under this cover you will see all the circuit cards, and over on the right there is the power supply section, including the fuse section. There's 4 or so fuses. With the unit UNPLUGGED, you may visually inspect the fuses, or if they're the opaque type you will need an ohm meter to test the fuses.

The basic blowout you had, and symptoms as you've described, just lead me to want you to check the fuses. I'd hope it was as simple as that.;)

Back