2488neo, no mixdown instructions

mojobebop

hi,

i've used the 788 for 9 years. had really good results. good manual.

the neo i notice has no instructions on how to set the 2488 up in order to do a mixdown.,

i've looked everywhere on line. even the tascam forum has given me no ans.

can someone please if they know, just in a paragraph advise me on
what steps to take for the mixdown. i know, as the manual states you must
set the in/out points. but that is all they say.

how is it possible they left the rest out. the mkl version i read has a
premaster screen that comes up. but this does not happen for the neo.

my 788 is broken so i bought a 2488 because they came down in price. (519.00)

i'd be really grateful if someone could advise me.

thanks,
richard

rhandwerke123@aol.com

Richard,

I don't have this unit but I just took a look at the manual available on the Tascam download page (Downloads | TASCAM) and there are mixdown instructions starting on page 69 that look reasonably complete (and essentially the same level of detail as the information in the other 2488 version manuals). Have you downloaded this from tascam?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but I thought maybe you got your copy of the manual through a third party etc..

Once you get to this page drill down to Digital Portastudios -> 2488neo

2488 neo

hi

sorry, but respectfully i must disagree. i bought the unit and on 69 for mixdown it only states; set the in/out points. mress mixdown/mastering.

that is it.
i see mixdown screen, and nothing more.

nothing else appears, and there are no instructions.
i've looked at earlier models as well and can find no reference to it.

as opposed to the 788 which i did use. which
1. routes you to main mixer. you reassign tracks to return in main mixer. pushing
track buttons to select tracks.

2. panning, & eq come up.

3. you push effects #2, hold down channel button, a send screen comes up
with lvl, pan, mstr, pst/aus/off. It's all there.

if it is so that there is instructions, can you please just as i have done
here, write down exactly how you have accomplished a mix on this unit?

i have written this request on several forums and have not received one
simple list of what to do. Yes they explain how to master a track. but
there is absolutely nothing for a mixdown.

the mixdown screen comes up and i am lost. It is not in earlier mk1, mk2 manuals.
(tho i believe i read with one of those models a premaster screen comes up as well, but i have not used either of those).

so please, if you can in explicit terms tell me how you do a mixdown on the
neo?

thank you,

richard
rhandwerke123@aol.com

The text in quotes below are all straight out of the manual on page 69. It indicates to me that whatever settings you have on the mixer will apply to the mix. So you don't need the screens you mentioned. Have you tried to mixdown?

Most of what you will learn in home recording will come from experimentation not web searching. Try it, then listen to it, then change it, and listen again... repeat as necessary

Tascam Manual excerpts from page 69:

"The mastering records the effects of all mixer settings and effect settings, etc."

"During mixdown mode, all channel controls (EQ, sends, faders, panning) can be operated from the top panel of the device or by using MIDI commands."

"During mixdown mode, effect parameters can be set and edited, and effects can be recalled from the effects library"

"During mixdown mode, assignments can be changed and scene memories can be recalled."

"After recording the master track, it can be played back and checked (see “Checking the master” on page 70).
To redo the mixdown, press the PLAY key while holding down the RECORD key again.
Mixdown can also be undone. Thus, after recording the master track multiple times, it is possible to use a previously recorded master track"

boss dr770/midi on neo

thank you for your assistance. I have figured it out. all except the boss dr 770 which i used on the 778. i am setting it up the same way, and if i tap the drum pads i can see and hear contact. however when i switch the unit on midi to the song play mode it does not register at all. i have the tascam midi sync set to 'internal/clock.

the only difference i see is the 788 had a aux level in the sub-mixer and the 2488 neo does not. so there must be some step i am missing.
on page 35; submixer. i have followed all instructions. the last one; 'assign the sub mixer to the stereo bus'. i am uncertain but i do see the lvl bars moving. (not when i use the song mode).

it has the sub mixer screen, but there is no other screen as with the 788 where you can effect the volume levels and pan.

also, on another note, when i clone a track i get a cloned track where the volume is absurdly low. i have tried this on many channels with same result. this is a simple procedure i have done many times on the 788 so i don't think it could be operator error. has anyone else experienced this? the thinking is since i have not registered product yet if it is defective i could exchange it for another.

I'm afraid I can't offer much help with these two issues as I dont have one of these units to experiment on. But lets give it a try...

when i switch the unit on midi to the song play mode it does not register at all. i have the tascam midi sync set to 'internal/clock.

Does the DR770 start to play when you start the Tascam? If not you have a MIDI communication problem, else the issue is likely tied to the sub mix configuration as you noted.

If the issue appears to be MIDI, you might check the Tascam MIDI OUT configuration on page 76. I'm guessing this should be set to "on" but it is not clear from the manual so it might be worth trying both on and off.

Also be sure the DR770 is setup as slave

also, on another note, when i clone a track i get a cloned track where the volume is absurdly low. i have tried this on many channels with same result. this is a simple procedure i have done many times on the 788 so i don't think it could be operator error. has anyone else experienced this? the thinking is since i have not registered product yet if it is defective i could exchange it for another.

This could be a bug but it seems more likely some setting on the destination track is causing the low playback. Can you get a view of the wave that shows its relative dB level. If the wave is not being cloned correctly it should be very small (low dB) compared to the original. If the wave level looks normal then I would suspect a mixer setting is off. There is a function in the mixer setup that affects the relationship of the physical and virtual faders (page 84, Fader Matching) . Maybe the new tracks have the virtual fader down even though the physical fader is up - far fetched but worth a look.

drum machine does not start when tascam starts. also the midi indicator light on neo does not light.
unfortunately the manual you reference isn't the neo. i do not have the midi player/mode pattern-midi out
reference on the neo.
there is in the remote control setting a mode setting; master/slave. i have tried both.

thanks for your imput. hopefully i'll get this sorted out.

retried the cloning, and it worked fine.

drum machine does not start when tascam starts. also the midi indicator light on neo does not light.
unfortunately the manual you reference isn't the neo. i do not have the midi player/mode pattern-midi out
reference on the neo.

Your are correct, I was looking at an older 2488 manual.

Two more things

1) For the Neo try setting the MIDI synchronization to "CLOCK" (page 94 in the Neo manual)
2) The DR770 always resets its internal clock to internal (INT) when powered up so you need to reset it to slave (MIDI) each time you power up (page 89 in the DR770 manual I'm looking at)

Hang in there - your making progress

check out proaudiodvdtutorial.com.......you either purchase the 2488neo dvd or view the online tutorial,all for $29.00..........i recommend online viewing,why? for anything else you may desire to view for being a
online member.

2488neo mixdown error
ok ive seen a couple points of feedback on this on different forums but my issue has not been resolved as maybe with other neo users
here it goes . made an 8 trac recording 17 min long (electronica) went to midown got the error TRACK IS TOO SHORT CHOOSE AND SET ANOTHER OUT POINT.
did that by setting out point to 17min plus. using out and locate buttons. still same message.. the only thing i can reason is my lead in time for the starting is pretty much 0 . can i resolve this so ican do the master and burn a cd? thanks in advance neomaniac

2488neo mixdown error
ok ive seen a couple points of feedback on this on different forums but my issue has not been resolved as maybe with other neo users
here it goes . made an 8 trac recording 17 min long (electronica) went to midown got the error TRACK IS TOO SHORT CHOOSE AND SET ANOTHER OUT POINT.
did that by setting out point to 17min plus. using out and locate buttons. still same message.. the only thing i can reason is my lead in time for the starting is pretty much 0 . can i resolve this so ican do the master and burn a cd? thanks in advance neomaniac

I answered this in the other thread you started. No reason to hit LOCATE. You need to hit SHIFT and OUT to set your OUT point.

Back