2488 Rewind Button Getting Cantankerous....

Zaphod B

Raccoons-Be-Gone, Inc.
.....dammit. Just like some of the other 2488's I've heard about. I'm having to give the rewind button about twice the pressure of the other transport buttons to make it work.

I'm predicting complete button failure in about 1-1/2 projects. There's an authorized TASCAM repair shop in Dallas. I'm gonna call 'em soon to let 'em know I'm on my way. :(

I was about to sink some money into one of these...

Tell me about any other problems?

None so far, for me at least. They are not well suited to environments where there is a lot of vibration (for example, recording live gigs, placed on a table that isn't too solid and gets bumped a lot). And if you do record live, and record a whole set's worth of songs as a single recording, there is no easy way to split it into component songs.

But it's well suited for home recording. I've had mine for about 2-1/2 years, and with moderate use that rewind button is the only thing that has gone south, and it's not even inoperative yet - it may continue to work fine just the way it is.

None so far, for me at least. They are not well suited to environments where there is a lot of vibration (for example, recording live gigs, placed on a table that isn't too solid and gets bumped a lot). And if you do record live, and record a whole set's worth of songs as a single recording, there is no easy way to split it into component songs.

But it's well suited for home recording. I've had mine for about 2-1/2 years, and with moderate use that rewind button is the only thing that has gone south, and it's not even inoperative yet - it may continue to work fine just the way it is.

Good info to have Zaphod. I have read lots worse stories about the 2488, especially the original version. But at the current going price of $700, it is soooo tempting.

Good info to have Zaphod. I have read lots worse stories about the 2488, especially the original version. But at the current going price of $700, it is soooo tempting.

Most of the horror stories I heard were the original versions, with the original firmware load, and there were some pretty ugly quirks associated with that firmware. Also people using them for recording live have always complained about the units locking up mid-recording and losing that session's data.

My unit is the original hardware version but the firmware is the later version, and it's been very stable.

For $700 bucks - that's an incredible amount of capability for the money. :)

.....dammit. Just like some of the other 2488's I've heard about. I'm having to give the rewind button about twice the pressure of the other transport buttons to make it work.

I'm predicting complete button failure in about 1-1/2 projects. There's an authorized TASCAM repair shop in Dallas. I'm gonna call 'em soon to let 'em know I'm on my way. :(

cantankerous huh? ironic. :D

seriously, how long have you had your 2488?

One of my cursor key's was a bit tempremental for a while but seems to be OK again now. Possibly some dirt on the switch contacts? If it's possible to get access inside then a quick squirt of contact cleaner will probably sort it (used to this a lot with my SR16s pads).

I've also had my 2488 since 2006 (latest firmware) and, with the exception of 1 minor write failure which I put down to overheating after a long seesion, I have had no problems.

In fact I like the machine so much that I am planning on getting a 2nd one (possibly a mkII or a used mkI) to sync up and make a 48 tracks / 14 inputs monster!

I am planning on getting a 2nd one (possibly a mkII or a used mkI) to sync up and make a 48 tracks / 14 inputs monster!
Great idea - and I guess you can set one of the units to accept the time sync from the other. You could only master from one unit at a time, though, so your master will still be limited to 24 tracks although you'd still have those extra 24 for scratch tracks, inserted effects, etc.

You know, I often think about what a giant leap there has been in recording technology within the last few years. Even 20 years ago it was unthinkable that an individual with $2,000 or so could have access to what would be found in a moderately-equipped studio. My home recording equipment has made a vast difference in my ability to express myself musically, particularly during this period in my life when it is impractical to play with other musicians regularly. Great stuff. :)

Great idea - and I guess you can set one of the units to accept the time sync from the other. You could only master from one unit at a time, though, so your master will still be limited to 24 tracks although you'd still have those extra 24 for scratch tracks, inserted effects, etc.

Yep will sync them up using MTC in a Master-Slave configuration. Actually by routing the line / monitor outputs of the slave device into the master unit you can pre-master all 48 tracks on one machine though backups have to be done seperately. Monitoring connections need only by made through the master machine and there's the added benefit of having an extra 3 (1 internal, 2 external) effects loops though obviously these can't be shared across the machines.

My intentions is to use the slave machine primarly for recording live drums (8 mics). This avoids any potential phase issues that might caused my slight shifts in the sync though it should be said when I tested this configuration with a 788 as the slave there were no issues whatsoever! It also means I can plug one of my Lexicon boxes into the slave's AUX outs and have beautiful plate reverb on my drums whilst using the other Lexi for vocal delays and guitar effects on the master.

There's more info about syncing multiple 2488s / 788s (or other HDD recorders) over at www.tascam2488.com

Much cheaper than buying an X-48!

Yep will sync them up using MTC in a Master-Slave configuration. Actually by routing the line / monitor outputs of the slave device into the master unit you can pre-master all 48 tracks on one machine though backups have to be done seperately. Monitoring connections need only by made through the master machine and there's the added benefit of having an extra 3 (1 internal, 2 external) effects loops though obviously these can't be shared across the machines.

My intentions is to use the slave machine primarly for recording live drums (8 mics). This avoids any potential phase issues that might caused my slight shifts in the sync though it should be said when I tested this configuration with a 788 as the slave there were no issues whatsoever! It also means I can plug one of my Lexicon boxes into the slave's AUX outs and have beautiful plate reverb on my drums whilst using the other Lexi for vocal delays and guitar effects on the master.

There's more info about syncing multiple 2488s / 788s (or other HDD recorders) over at www.tascam2488.com

Much cheaper than buying an X-48!
Sounds like a great setup. :)

Are you sure you can't share the external FX loops across units? What would happen if you went out through the send on a channel on Unit 1, through the external effect, and into one of the inputs of Unit 2?

Sounds like a great setup. :)

Are you sure you can't share the external FX loops across units? What would happen if you went out through the send on a channel on Unit 1, through the external effect, and into one of the inputs of Unit 2?

Potential phase issues aside I see no reason why that wouldn't work. You probably could share an FX unit by using an external line mixer to combine the AUX ouputs from both units and then routing the FX unit outputs back into the master 2488. There does seem to be a lot of possibilties including the potential for multiple cue mixes!

I don't want to hijack, but since you guys have strayed a bit from the intent of the OP, here goes:

I am seriously considering getting the 2488. The more I look at it, the more I like what I see.

But I don't mix ITB, I tend to prefer using Reaper and taking all my tracks to PC. So the question is: with all its capabilities and the ability to use outside fx, would bying this machine be an overkill for me, when something like its little brother, the DP02 would probably suit my needs more?

I was using a Fostex MR-8, and it was good for what I do. I don't track live drums, and it's just me, so really 2 inputs is all I ever used. The pre amps on the MR-8 are shite, so I am using a Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer as a pre amp. The MR-8 died tragically in a 220v accident, so I am shopping.

Would I be better off going for the DP02 and not the 2488?

The DP-02 is only 16bit if I'm not mistaken where as the 2488 is 24bit and obviously has a much higher track count.

But if using an external mixer and Reaper then why not just get a simple 2in / 2out audio interface and record straight to your PC?

I don't want to hijack, but since you guys have strayed a bit from the intent of the OP, here goes:

I am seriously considering getting the 2488. The more I look at it, the more I like what I see.

But I don't mix ITB, I tend to prefer using Reaper and taking all my tracks to PC. So the question is: with all its capabilities and the ability to use outside fx, would bying this machine be an overkill for me, when something like its little brother, the DP02 would probably suit my needs more?

I was using a Fostex MR-8, and it was good for what I do. I don't track live drums, and it's just me, so really 2 inputs is all I ever used. The pre amps on the MR-8 are shite, so I am using a Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer as a pre amp. The MR-8 died tragically in a 220v accident, so I am shopping.

Would I be better off going for the DP02 and not the 2488?
The 2488MKII has portability and options you may want to use in the future.

. And if you do record live, and record a whole set's worth of songs as a single recording, there is no easy way to split it into component songs.

I don't have one of these yet but can't you split the recording into several different tracks on a cd using Live Writer and how does that work?

Back