2488 neo?

I have the 2488MK11 and it is the best stand alone unit I have ever owned. I'm sure the new NEO has some nice added features that my MK11 don't have but I'll stick with my MK11 it creates good sounding recordings providing you treat it right and put in a good sound first.

Danny

Hello,
I could start a formal hello, but I always fear it junks up a forum to have too many "I'm new here" threads. This seemed like an appropriate place to drop in this question. So, salutations! I have already been reading up on the posts and I like the flow hear. I hope to add some stuff to the brain trust in the future. And I am not yet an owner - I have a DP-02, but my question is about the 2488 MKII versus the Neo.
Sorry, I know it's been covered a bit, but despite many searches, I can't find the answer (if I missed it I apologize, nothing worse than a leech, but I promise, I have searched, 'mastering' and 'Neo' and '2488' and all other combinations and variations):

How much is it worth to get the Neo's new "Mastering effect"? I think there are still some good deals out there to be had on MkIIs. But since I have a Tascam DP-02, I'd like the matching Halloween color scheme (but I wouldnt pay extra for it) . And if the mastering effects are worth it I'll go for it. But to be honest, though I have heard of "mastering", I don't know what I'd do with it. If it's an automated effect algorithm that makes your final mix pop awesomely, then I want it. But if it's another thing you have to fiddle with like EQs, then I know I'll never mess with it. I mean - I don't know how to make stuff sound "good", I just do what I do, and when it sounds bad - I lop it off. So does this mastering button make it sound LA supa-licks hot polished - or is it a legit tool?

Simplified - Are these mastering effects on Neo worth the extra dough?

Thanks
wooperman

I have a Roland 1880 with 1 card and the mastering tool kits come in handy when mixing down. I just want a machine that is still in production that has usb2.

Zaphod B, your holy two-headedness,
How do you go about mastering on the MkI? I'm all bent out of shape over the Neo's "new" effects. Was there a mastering set-up in the first place on the MKI or MKII? Is the "new" a totally new feature - or a new version of an old feature originally found on the MkI?
Will I be able to master stuff? Like Kevin1600 said, I have other outboard gear with Mastering stuff on it, like a Juno G keyboard, but I have never used mastering. And as I said in a previous post, I don't think I would know mastering if it walked up behind me and cracked a whip. Sorry, that was poor taste, but it was better than "and slapped me in the face".

Zaphod B, your holy two-headedness,
How do you go about mastering on the MkI?
At least someone around here recognizes my true worth. :D

Mastering on a MkI is really just recording a mix to stereo, with the capability to add some dynamics to the stereo bus. I think the Neo offers an intermediate step of some sort.

If you need the how-to specifics, post up.

Nope, thats the info I wanted...you just mix down and try to add dynamics using your creativity with what ever routings are available on the machine - where the Neo has actual functions and dedicated buttons to do that stuff.
I still can't tell. The Neo or the MKII...I guess I'll post what I decide to do.
Is the buggyness of the Neo being reported? I know the MKII has some people steamed - claims of machines just dying over night), but I am one of those people who has never had fatal equipment because I baby my gear. So the MKII should work out fine for me. But if the Neo is also proven to make even the pickiest of people satisfied, I'd like to know that. (in general, not asking specifically)

well I did it I bought a 2488 neo from MF for $788 with a guitar amp rebate that is cool too. I already did a recording on it so it's easy to use.

Back