2488 file export problems

philboyd studge

I've just recently started to use my 2488 again and have been cleaning up old tracks by exporting them to the FAT partition and editing with Sound Forge. The problem is that only few tracks per song actually export to .wav files cleanly, the rest either have nothing on them or just a portion of the song at the end. I've been getting around this by bouncing the track and then exporting them.

Am I doing something wrong or is what I suspect is a glitch with this early version (v1.0) 2488. I have downloaded the upgrade to v1.02 but haven't run it because I don't know what effect it'll have on all the data on the hard drive.

The firmware update fixes a bug in the file export function.

The update won’t affect the hard drive.

Outstanding! I just spent 6 hours bouncing tracks all ove to get them to export.

The end result though after cleaning and tweaking the tracks is nothing short of amazing.

Thanks so much for the info.

Yeah bouncing is the only solution if you have the original firmware.

Glad you got what you wanted.

I ran the upgrade and it's working fine. Now I've got to redo about a dozen songs because I dumped the tweaked FAT files before saving the songs. This time around I'm backing up everything to a computer hard drive.

Wow backing up a dozen songs is a chore, but a few flicks and some popcorn should help pass the time.

The 2488 is slow when it comes to this kind of thing.

I filled up my original 40 gig hard drive in two years. Then installed a 120 and filled it up in two years, accidentally reformatted it and it’s full again.

Thinking back now I should just have bought two or three 40s and just swapped them out. It only takes about 20 minutes to change one.

But I’ve moved on to PC based recording now. So much nicer.

Wow backing up a dozen songs is a chore, but a few flicks and some popcorn should help pass the time.

The 2488 is slow when it comes to this kind of thing.

I filled up my original 40 gig hard drive in two years. Then installed a 120 and filled it up in two years, accidentally reformatted it and it’s full again.

Thinking back now I should just have bought two or three 40s and just swapped them out. It only takes about 20 minutes to change one.

But I’ve moved on to PC based recording now. So much nicer.

Yeah, I'll probably get to multi track recording on a PC one of these days but in the meantime the tracks are so much better after going through them on Sound Forge it's worth the slow transfer times. Plus, after backing up the wav files, I've got song tracks I can import anywhere. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 2488 records in its own format.

Manslick, could you tell us what the drive specifications would be, and how to go about either installing a bigger one or swapping out equal-sized drives?

Thanks!

Sure - it's all right here.

http://tascamforums.com/index.php?showtopic=478

Lots of good info there.

I went with a 120 GB Seagate. Because of the way the 2488 formats the drive, a 160 ends up losing space. Once the new drive is in place, the unit will automatically format the drive with 4 equal partitions and whatever else it need for the FAT.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 2488 records in its own format.

You are correct philboyd studge.

I think the hard drive layout on a 2488 is the same as the old 788 was and easy to change out. A 788 hard drive can't be read by a 2488 however.The 788 came with just 10 gigs of space or less and everyone was replacing them. Which reminds me, I sure wish there was a way to sync the tracks on a 788 when played through the spdif output.

You mean sync to another 2488?

I doubt you could sync via spdif but MIDI might work.

I had my 2488 sync'd to my DAW and I've read where people have sync'd two 2488s.

@Zaphod B 'You're welcome"

You mean sync to another 2488?

I doubt you could sync via spdif but MIDI might work.

I had my 2488 sync'd to my DAW and I've read where people have sync'd two 2488s.

@Zaphod B 'You're welcome"

Yes I think I could sync it via midi to the sound card of my music computer and real time record tracks off the 788's spdif out two at a time. That would give them a common clock and I'd end up with .wav tracks I could use anywhere....like what I'm doing with the 2488. Tedeous but the mixes would be a whole lot better.

Sounds like a plan and whole lot faster.

I used to record my masters off the 2488 via spdif into Audacity just because it was faster than cloning and exporting them.
Using spdif keeps it all in digital format so in essence you’re just performing a file transfer.

I see no downside to this.

Sounds like a plan and whole lot faster.

I used to record my masters off the 2488 via spdif into Audacity just because it was faster than cloning and exporting them.
Using spdif keeps it all in digital format so in essence you’re just performing a file transfer.

I see no downside to this.

Do you mean your stereo masters or individual tracks? I've always run the 2 track mixes off both the 788 and 2388 to Sound Forge for finalizing down to a 16 bit mix for CDs. And now remastering at lower volumes for multi media DVD's.

The spdif in and out has worked really well except for a couple of video shoots with Sony equipment where I couldn't get it to sync.

I always thought this process worked pretty well till about a week ago when I started setting up to record and running a few individual tracks to Sound Forge and was amazed at how much better I could make them and putting them back on the 2488.

I've got a version of Audacity on the multi media/internet computer and will throw the tracks from some of these songs on it soon and have a look.

Yeah just the masters. Using spdif is way faster than the export.

I treat Audacity like a bitch when it really is a fine piece of engineering.

Don't do no video or fancy stuff; just home recording.

I suppose if you had enough time you could do a decent job of editing on the 2488, but with the small and vague display screen it would take forever.

By exporting the tracks and mixing/mastering them in much the same fashion I would a stereo mix (but no effects) I come out with a much better mix with a lot more definition. I play a bunch of acoustic instruments and have been pretty good at keeping things clean when punching in but there's still a lot of very low residual noise that I can clean up now. When this stuff gets dumbed down to mp3's and mpeg4's and such they're going to cleaner and more dynamic for there's less information to dither.

Back