246 . Opening and belt replacement questions

tonychoreboy246

So I recently bought a 246 in excellent conditions . Worked for 3 days and suddenly started with extreme wow and fluttter. I assumed it was because I was using 100 min tapes that didn’t hold up well but soon the play button no longer worked and the play/rec would attempt to engage and detatched . I read this is often caused by the capstan belt falling off . I just want to know what precautions to take when opening the machine and if I should just consider sending it off somewhere . I know it’s similar to the 244 which I saw a video for but I also heard these are more difficult to get into so I just want to know all I can before I do this

So I recently bought a 246 in excellent conditions . Worked for 3 days and suddenly started with extreme wow and fluttter. I assumed it was because I was using 100 min tapes that didn’t hold up well but soon the play button no longer worked and the play/rec would attempt to engage and detatched . I read this is often caused by the capstan belt falling off . I just want to know what precautions to take when opening the machine and if I should just consider sending it off somewhere . I know it’s similar to the 244 which I saw a video for but I also heard these are more difficult to get into so I just want to know all I can before I do this

I have no trouble getting into them and have not since the 80's. I worked at Teac in Chicago but the belt is not the only issue. Why does everyone pick on one or two parts and neglect all the rest that is needed. This is the results you get when an amateur works on a deck and leaves out all the required work to make them work well even now.

Back