244 Portastudio ffwd works, but play not works

topolino

okay, anyone know a fancy trick or something to help me? y'see, it's the motor I guess...
it's a ye olde Tascam 244 Portastudio. Fast forward works, but not play, but play does work when there's no tape in there, so I'm led to believe that the motor is pooped out, and doesn't have the torque to move the tape slowly...
although ffwd and play seem to be the same speed, or almost, the only difference being the little heads and rollers and complicated thingies slide over to engage with the tape during play but not during ffwd. Know what I mean? So then why would it be able to ffwd but not play, if they're the same speed?
Also I tried flipping the tape over so that, you know, it was pulling on the side that's almost done so the hub that's doing the pulling has most of the tape reeled on it and therefore has more leverage. Didn't work.

So anyways, I was planning on taking it somewhere that people who work with such things might be able to tweak stuff for $40/hr, but also I know that my machine is really old; I recorded with it last year fine but haven't used it since due to moving and new baby time limitations. I was wondering if any of you fine people might know fancy tricks to tell me before I take it in somewhere and get told that it's too old or something. I hope someone can help, or at least ease the pain. thanks dudes and dudettes

Yes, hello!

That's easy,... it's the belt. The Capstan-drive belt. It's separate from the FF-RW mechanism.

Just flip yer 244 over, and remove the bottom cover panel. Inside, you'll view the glorious guts of the 244, of which I'd bet that the capstan drive belt has simply fallen off the motor and flywheel pulleys.

Your resolution is to replace the belt. It's a flat rubber belt, that's 11" total length. If it's any different, after checking my stash of stuff, I'll post a correction, but I believe it's 11", (and definitely no longer than 11.5").

The belt ages, wears, stretches, and basically slips or falls off. It's a common problem, and it's easy to repair. Generic cost of the belt is ~$1.25, plus about an hour or less to install, DIY.

It's as simple as that.

Update

Hi.

Try www.electronix.com

The 244 capstan belt, I've verified as 11.7", total length, flat rubber belt. That's what I was using, anyway, with acceptable results. As short as 11.5" length would probably do the trick. The one I have on hand is 11.7".

Flat Rubber Belt, 11.7" total length, about 4mm wide, and about .5mm thick.

You're welcome

More...

There is another belt, that drives the headstack up & down, back & forth, whatever your orientation. You may want to replace that belt also, but I'd just leave it alone, until the headstack indicated it was having problems retracting.

Also, way-deep, inside the cassette mech, is the FF/RW motor, that drives the left and right spools by way of a double pulley. Those little rubber tires on that double pulley may sometimes need replacement, but again, I'd leave it alone until there was an indication of the 244 having problems FF/RW or takeup action during normal play. That is, if it "eats" the tape because of lack of takeup tension.

Just blow it out, if it looks dusty inside, replace the capstan drive belt, and go back to normal use.

Any time.

Back