234 Drive Belts

SkunkMonkey

I recently pulled my old 234 out of storage and found that the drive belts had fallen off and reverted to the petroleum base from which they were made (they turned to black goo).

I'm look to replace the two belts, a thin one and a thick one.

Can anybody please point me somewhere I can get a replacement.

that happened to the belt on my Tascam 38 recently too. I measured the old one and them bought the closest one to it from MCM Electronics but any place that sells belts for stuff like VCRs will have some. It cost like 1.50 or something.

That would be fine if I could measure the belts. Since they basicly turned to goo, there was little I could do but scrape the goo out.

I've finally found the manual and of course, no specs on the belts at all.

If anyone out there can help me figure this out I would be eternally grateful.

The Tascam 38 capstan drive belt is a 14.5" (total length) flat rubber belt, that's about 5mm wide and 0.5mm thick.

The belts for the 234 are ...

[Could I get back to'ya on that, shortly? I gotta dig around in my tech supplies to get an ID on the 234 belts, but I have them on hand, and I've replaced them myself, so I can get you those specs,... SOON! Pls stand by!!]

Dude, if you can get me specs on the 234 belts I'll be forever grateful. :)

If you actually have the belts and are willing to sell them, I'll pay ya chitload of money for em.

I've got old recordings I want to pull into the digital domain and the newer 4tk cassette recorders made by TASCAM don't have same tape formats. :(

Ok

The belts I was using to refurbish the 234 were:

- [capstan belt] Flat rubber belt, 9" total length, about 4mm wide and about .5mm thick, &
- [head/carriage belt] Square shaped belt, 7.2" total length.

Find a large variety of belts online, at www.electronix.com

This type of belt should be inexpensive, like a dollar or two. Tascam charges 400% markup on belts, so it's less costly to find other sources.

If, by chance, these belts do not fit the 234, just let me know, & I find a way to make it up to you, for steering you wrong. I actually have several generic belts lying around, and it's been a long time, but I think a 9"-flat & 7.2" square belt will do'ya. If not, just let me know.

BTW, if your FF/RW function has gone to goo, you'll also need two little rubber tires, of [OUTER diameter] .599",... is what I've used, and you have to stretch the tires onto the double-pulley wheel assembly,... but .566" OD should fit.

/DA

Last edited:
Dude, catch my edit.

The rubber tires I'm referring to are .599" OUTER diameter, qty 2.

Sorry for the confusion.

WOOOT!

Thank you SOOOOO much Reel Person! :)

I just installed the new belts (major pain) but it WORKS!

I've been listening to my old band from over 10 years ago and it's bringing back very fond memories.

Also, that place you suggested for parts was GREAT! The lady that answered the phone was VERY helpful in getting right belt. And the prices! WOW, gonna buy all my electronic parts from there from now on!

*warm fuzzies*

No,... Thank YOU!!

Right on! WTG! [Way to go!]

I'm so glad I could be helpful to you on this matter,... something I've had a fair amount of experience on. ;)

hey, i have the same problem with my belts on my tascam 234. How do you get to the belts? i don't have a manual and need a little direction. How do you pull out the tape deck assembly?
a little help would be much appreciated
ephemeralgoods

It's not detailed too well in the manual, either, so don't fret.

It's a fairly detailed teardown job.

You'd remove the top cover. You'd also remove the bottom access panel. You'd remove the screws that hold the cassette mech to the base. You'd also remove the front plexi cover that covers the cassette compartment. (You'd do this by pulling up on the cover, and it releases). Having gotten all the screws and panels off, you'd disconnect any wiring, cables or harnasses that pertain directly to the cassette mech. Also remove the PITCH knob.

If you've gotten this far, you'd carefully lift the mech at an angle up and toward the back, and remove the cassette mech directly out of the inner compartment.

Once you've gotten the cassette mech separated and removed from the chassis, there is a bit more disassembly necessary to remove/replace the belts.

Sounds easy, huh? :eek:

Back