Vertical monitor and record icons in cubasele8

What I did,when or how I don't know but somehow the icons are now stacked instead of horizontal in my project audio tracks(main window)..they were horizontal for years now and I may have reset the preferences and now I cannot customize them back..I asked over in a Steinberg forum but haven't got a reply..also in Steinberg, they claim to have fixes(several) but none of them work.. Even the old version of cubasele8 has stacked icons..the reason I want them back the way they were is because I have a laptop and I have to manipulate the touchpad too much to monitor or whatever..

Icons stacked? What icons?

Post a screenshot as I am not sure what it is you have issue with. I bet it is an easy fix tho. :)

Icons stacked? What icons?

Post a screenshot as I am not sure what it is you have issue with. I bet it is an easy fix tho. :)
There's no attachment option that I can see..
To explain what they are; there's a little yellow speaker indicating "monitor"..a red "record" dot and a few other automation letters..in the track or project that I will be using, not the editor inspector...

Last edited:
The attachment option is along the top of the compose window.
Where you have Bold/Italic/Underline, it's over to the right hand side; The icon is a small image of a tree?

That is strange.

In the gray area where the icons are listed, Right click. Menu there gives you options as to what is shown. 'Track Control Settings'. Hopefully that will help ya. :)

I've already been informed on another forum about that..it ends up that there is nothing to change back..no presets to delete.no way to change track height or anything..someone over on the Steinberg(cubase) forum let one of the technical people take control of his computer and he got it fixed that way..

I've already been informed on another forum about that..it ends up that there is nothing to change back..no presets to delete.no way to change track height or anything..someone over on the Steinberg(cubase) forum let one of the technical people take control of his computer and he got it fixed that way..

Please let us know if you find an answer. If it happens to me I will be pissed!

I took some advice from the Steinberg cubase forums that said to delete userpreferences xml.file..I did it temporarily by deleting the file to the recycle(trash) bin and trying the cubasele8 daw to see if the icons were horizontal and sure enough they were..I'm still going to keep the file somewhere in case it affected something else in the cubasele8 app...in case anyone needs this the path is. c:/users/my name/appdata/roaming/Steinberg
Then open up the cubasele8 64 file and search for xml. in the small folder search bar..scroll to userpreferences and delete the file..

There we go...(see post extension below)next post..

Last edited:
Naw, the attachment does not work.

But it is likely standard procedure to delete preferences folder when shit goes crazy. It happens. I just had never heard of that particular one myself.

I thought it was an option in Cubase 8, but maybe Cubase 9, that you could temporarily use default prefs by holding 'Shit+Ctrl+Alt' while starting Cubase. Maybe it is 9 only.

The track controls settings screen was grayed out until I deleted the userpreferences xml. file

Over in Steinberg cubase forums they suggest several ways to fix the problem, I just succeeded with this way..

Right, I held those three keys down and I got a choice of 3 ways to do with program preferences use-disable-or delete preferences,I tried each way separately and it didn't do anything..but it worked for someone else in the Steinberg cubase forum I was talking about..

Back