Using non midi recorder. Upload to cubase. Audio warp?

sixtiesman

Hi, I have bought a Tascam DP24SD, a non midi recorder porta studio.
My assumptions:
I can record a drum track on say track 24 from a drum machine. Record vocals and guitars onto tracks 1 to 6 against the drum track in order to sync the six tracks.
I could then upload all seven wav files to cubase.
Using some method ( audio warp? ) I could then embed a time code onto the six tracks.
I could then use the timecode to put midi instruments on other cubase tracks in sync with my original six tracks.

Questions
Is the above possible? Easy?
Is audio warp the way to go? ( Cubase 5 )

Best regards

sixtiesman

Most digital recorders have some sort of facility to transfer wav files to a computer. That would be the way to go. It will also make sync a non-issue.

Thanks Jay!

I can upload all the tracks to cubase as wave files as you said.

My recorder is a Tascam DP24SD version with no midi. The problem is a cubase one. I can upload all the tracks to cubase as wav files and they will be in sync, but there will be no midi information in the wav files so I can't add any midi instruments......

Maybe I'll try a cubase type forum, I'm sure there will be a method!

regards

sixtiesman

What midi information are you looking for? If the recorder has no midi, there isn't any midi to transfer.

You can add all the midi instruments you want, you will just need to program the midi parts in Cubase. If there was midi info programmed in the Tascam, there has to be a way to get it out.

Hi Jay
Thanks for staying with me!

I am not looking for any midi information. The recorder has no midi. There is no midi to transfer. There is no midi programmed into the Tascam.

If I start a new project in cubase I can program some instruments against the timecode.
If I import my wav tracks from the portastudio ( which are in sync with themselves ) into cubase, they will not be in sync with the midi instruments.

There must be a way of making a time code by looking at the wav file. Then you can program the midi intruments against this time code.
I hope this makes sense.

regards

sixtiesman

If you record the audio first, when you put it in cubase, the audio will start at 0 on the timeline.

If you programmed the midi first, just mix down the midi and import it into the Tascam. Record to the midi, then export the audio and line it up in cubase.

But, as long as you record to a click in the tascam, starting on measure 2 or 3, the audio will line up if you start programming the midi on the same measure at the same tempo in cubase, it will just work.

Back