Using multiple interfaces

Blast

I am using Cubase on Windows 7 with a UR44 interface and am wondering how possible it is to add 2nd UR44 to my setup and thereby the ability to record 8 tracks at once.

There is a way to make an aggregate device in Windows, but it relies on using non-ASIO drivers so your latency will be intolerably high. And then there's clock sync, which the UR44 doesn't have a way of controlling. Honestly, I'd sell both UR44s and buy a single UR824 to meet your needs.

I guess you could use one UR44 as a primary interface, then turn on direct monitor on the other and use that to pass through up to 2 channels from the 2nd UR44 to a couple of line inputs on the primary UR44. But that only adds up to 6 channels and not 8. (Actually I don't see a way to do that either...there's no stereo monitor option, and no way to pan the 2 inputs apart, so both inputs would end up passing through both outputs). I'd really just scrap the UR44 and go with something that natively supports the number of channels that you want to record simultaneously.

There is a way to make an aggregate device in Windows, but it relies on using non-ASIO drivers so your latency will be intolerably high. And then there's clock sync, which the UR44 doesn't have a way of controlling. Honestly, I'd sell both UR44s and buy a single UR824 to meet your needs.

I guess you could use one UR44 as a primary interface, then turn on direct monitor on the other and use that to pass through up to 2 channels from the 2nd UR44 to a couple of line inputs on the primary UR44. But that only adds up to 6 channels and not 8. (Actually I don't see a way to do that either...there's no stereo monitor option, and no way to pan the 2 inputs apart, so both inputs would end up passing through both outputs). I'd really just scrap the UR44 and go with something that natively supports the number of channels that you want to record simultaneously.

Agreed. UR series interfaces use a single driver. It is the device that allows multiple track count.

I have 2 UR824's. One runs as a ADAT slave. The smaller units do not have that capability. I also have a Behri Ultragain Preamp/ADAT for a total of 24 simultaneous recording tracks. Only had to use it once.

I believe that Mac's have ability to do such (aggregate device or something), but I would guess your best bet is to start with one solid unit that can upgrade to more tracks with the same ASIO driver.

I say start over. The UR824 has been flawless for me for years.

You can get 8 tracks with a new Behringer UMC1820 for between $250 and $280. Then bump it up with the ADA8200 for $200-230 if you need more. I can't imagine a more budget way to get a bunch of tracks. I mean, if tracks are your main concern and budget is an issue, you can just get a new interface that does 8 for less than a new UR44. (Crazy...)

P.S. Yes, you can aggregate devices on OS X. I've done it. It would probably be cheaper to buy a new interface than get a Mac :).

Agreed. UR series interfaces use a single driver. It is the device that allows multiple track count.

I have 2 UR824's. One runs as a ADAT slave. The smaller units do not have that capability. I also have a Behri Ultragain Preamp/ADAT for a total of 24 simultaneous recording tracks. Only had to use it once.

I believe that Mac's have ability to do such (aggregate device or something), but I would guess your best bet is to start with one solid unit that can upgrade to more tracks with the same ASIO driver.

I say start over. The UR824 has been flawless for me for years.

24 tracks! That must've been that one time that you recorded Terry Bozzio's drum kit :)

24 tracks! That must've been that one time that you recorded Terry Bozzio's drum kit :)

Close. lol!

Kick, snare, snare bottom, hh, ride, toms 1-5, room mic, overhead L and R, guitar 1, guitar 2, bass direct and 3 vocal mics.

Band was writing in studio so wanted the individual mics to communicate. That the only time I have used more than 16 tracks at once.

Back