Upgrading...finally.

Blast

Jumping from Cubase 7.5 to Cubase 10.5, likely on a new PC with Win10 (was on Win7)

My question is will my old Cubase 7 projects be usable in 10.5 and on Win 10?

Thanks.

I think it will, I have 8.5 and have been able to open projects recorded on 7. to be safe you can export the tracks for your projects and always import them into the new version.

I think it will, I have 8.5 and have been able to open projects recorded on 7. to be safe you can export the tracks for your projects and always import them into the new version.

That's true, good point, I could always do that. I'm thinking more about settings, automation, things like that. It would really suck to have to re-do all that basically starting from scratch with the raw tracks.

Going from Win 7 to Win 10 should present no issues at all. As for going to an updated Cubase from an older version.......I can't imagine that Cubase would develop an upgrade that could not use older file / project versions.

You shouldn't have any problems. I have Cubase 10 Artist and opened a project from 2012 as a test. I think I was running Cubase 6.5 at that time. There were some missing plug-ins that I'm not using anymore, but that was the only issue and it was not related to Cubase. The project opened fine and I had all my tracks.

As a side note, I might have to revisit that song. Sounded pretty good.

It does seem that Cubase has officially abandoned W7 to a degree with new update to C10.5. 10.5 is only supporting W10. That does not mean it won't work with W7, but I am not going there because of the statement and what members were saying on the Steinberg forum.

If it not broke, I don't find the need to fix it...

From every upgrade from Cubase 4 til now, all old projects have opened. I have had no issue myself. The leap from 32 to 64-bit software caused many problems, but that is a different story altogether.

Older projects should open in newer versions of cubase. If I remember right they introduced backwards compatibility after C7.

I confirm that you shouldn't have any problems. Anyway, you can keep more than one version of Cubase on your system. You don't have to uninstall the old one to install the newer one. This way, you can always go back to the old version if any problem arises.

I did have something odd happen the other day, I opened a project done in Cuebase 8 in 8.5 and a few of the tracks would not play, opened it back up in version 8 and it played fine. no idea why.

Back