Transferring between pc's

Blast

I have cubase 7 on my PC and decided to load it onto a laptop to try some satellite recording of dry tracks away from my main setup and then import them back into my main PC for mixing. When I do it says they are missing files. It's the same version of cubase. The only difference is Windows 10 on the laptop vs. Windows 7 on my PC. Is that what the issue is? Thanks in advance.

It is not likely to be the version of windows that is the problem.

More likely it is that you are importing the project files but leaving recorded WAV files behind.

I don't know how cubase does its file management ( I use reaper), but a good way to avoid this is to make sure all the files for a particular project are in the one folder, then move that whole folder between computers.

Cubase has an annoying feature that carries between projects. I noticed yesterday that the location of all my audio files for the past five weeks is in a sub folder in c drive documents, in a folder that has something like audio 193 or 194 etc as a title. I have all the project files on a e drive, carefully labelled and ordered. When you create a new project there is a tick box and it puts your audio files in a standard location, that c drive address, for the new project,rather than where you save it, and the tick box carries over to e next project. A real pain and I've realised I now have hundreds of audio files from projects there and worse, because there is no link to the project, it's impossible to just copy and paste them to the project files because the file names are the track names not project name ! The only solution I have found is to open each projects, go into the pool manager and see which of the audio folders contains this projects files and then go and copy them over from the audio folder there to the one they should be in. I have hundreds of these full of project audio. It will take hours to move them all, and of course the odd one will be lost. The alternate tick box asks for the address of the new project as an alternative. Why there is not an option to put them in the same folder as the project I'll never know. Seems such a sensible option to be missing. As I rarely delete duff takes, I'm looking at thousands and thousands of audio files in stupidly named folders.

Not sure if Cubase has the option or not but Reaper has the option to Move or Copy all files of a project to a certain folder if you do a "Save As" and check the option to do so. Perhaps Cubase has something similar to move all files contained in a project to a certain folder? Best of luck!

Not sure if Cubase has the option or not but Reaper has the option to Move or Copy all files of a project to a certain folder if you do a "Save As" and check the option to do so. Perhaps Cubase has something similar to move all files contained in a project to a certain folder? Best of luck!

Vegas Pro has that feature, and it also has an option to trim the files to the length of what's used in the project, with an adjustable "extra head and tail" to give you a little safety margin.

Cubase does have this feature. Not 100% where in the menu it is. I think it is either under project or audio.

What is easier to do is in preferences I think, is to set it up to ask for a project folder everytime you start a new project. This way all files go to this location.

I am unfortunately not at my pc so unable to get images or full details but easy to find.

Bren

Vegas Pro has that feature, and it also has an option to trim the files to the length of what's used in the project, with an adjustable "extra head and tail" to give you a little safety margin.

If you first use the "Remove All Unused Media From Project" option it will also omit any files that might have been part of the project in the past but aren't actually being used. This is a good option when you don't plan on going back to alternate takes.

Not sure I understand the question.

If you have Cubase on two computers and record a new tack on one and want it back, you only need to click and drag or 'Import to project. Then save it before you shut down.

You can also go 'File>Backup Project' and copy that back and forth between each PC. That is likely the safest way honestly.

As Br3n stated, it is always a good idea to create a new project folder for each individual project. If it goes the the default folder, all audio from all your projects go into the C:Cubase projects file. You delete something and missing files becomes an issue...

And no, it is not a Windows issue. Just file organization with Cubase. Keep all projects as a separate folder. You will know it is complete if the main folder has it's own 'Audio' and 'Images' folders, as well as the .cpr files. If you get the 'files missing' warning, you messed up and have to go try to find it. No fun. :(

Back