is there an easier way to create drum track??

gypsyscreamer

ive been trying to use the l7 drum mach. in cubase le to make a drum track & it seems like it'll take an eternity. Is there an easier or more efficient way to create good drum tracks in a timely manner??? I know there must be an easier way to do this. thanx for any help!!

read up on some soundfonts,there are plenty of free SF2 drum kit files.

use it as a sampler.

Much better IMO

There could be two answers to this:
1) You aren't able to work with the software really fast, yet. So do it more and learn how to do it fast.
2) Your quality standard is low, making you used to the fact they you can create "ok" drum tracks really fast, in another way. If this is the case, tough luck. Making a drumtrack sound as good as a live recorded drumkit, you need tons of time, great samples and very deep editing (of every single hit).

If find the LM7 to already take too much time, I'm afraid your in for a cold shower, because it is really one of the easiest drum machines out there. Sorry mate ;)

Lm7

I am using the LM7 at the moment, but the i cant say the sounds on it are all that great, does anyone know of anything like the LM7 that isnt the LM7 basically? lol
or to be able to get some kind of midi trigger, ya know, like the opposite to a normal one, instead of audio wave files triggering MIDI how about MIDI triggering audio drum samples?
Anyone know? any help would be greatly appriciated
Mark

S.Clause said:
Well, there's Battery (2)... or any other sampler basically.
Second that on Battery. In fact I'm currently working on a track using the MultiMic kit that comes with Battery 2 as standard and I am astonished at the quality. But yeah, to get the most out of it, you do have to put in the time to make sure you don't just put in hits at the same velocity and right on the grid to make it sound a bit more natural and groove.

To answer the question about MIDI triggers, you can use any MIDI (electronic) drum kit to trigger soft-samplers. You just have to make sure to map the drums to the coresponding triggers. Yamaha and Roland make some good ones. You can also use special MIDI triggers on acoustic drums to enter MIDI info in the sequencer.

I use Toontrack's "Drummer From Hell Superior" (DFHS), it's real easy to use, sounds excelent and is very tweakable. You'll still run into all of the programming problems though... he only way to get around it is to get a masive folder of preprogrammed beats and dice and splice. Actually, groovemonkey.com do a library for DFHS that covers most music styles. Some of the beats are very complicated and will fool 'most' people.

Perhaps I can share this as a programming technique.

I usually start with a 1 or 2 bar pattern. Work on that, set the groove right, play with velocity, timing and all that good stuff. Copy it. Slightly alter the copy. Merge with the original. Copy this. Slightly alter the last bar of the copy. If you already have other parts on top, you may find it necessary to slightly alter some other hits and such to help with the phrasing.

However, this way of programming helps to keep it consistent, yet have enough variation as to prevent tedious monotoy.

Back