Tempo Detection/Warp Audio

jimmys69

MOODerator
I have a track that was recorded live-no click. Tempo detection was able to create a Tempo track. Performance was quite close.

The question: I would like to replay the drums to the click track (set to fixed tempo) and still use the guitar scratch tracks. Is there a way to warp the audio of the scratch guitar to a fixed tempo?

What would be the procedure to do so?

HELP! :)

I have done this, but I only have limited knowledge of Cubase so probably there is a better way :-)

First, move your track a few bars to the right, you WILL need the space... Then slice the guitar part every few bars on a downbeat. Press the '1' button (on the upper left of the keyboard, not the numeric) so your selection arrow has a clock sign next to it. Then pull or push the corners to stretch or shrink the part into the bar. Do the same for the following parts.

On my last project, I opted to do it backwards and made a tempo track to follow the live part. I found a great tutorial here: music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/using-hitpoints-and-markers-in-cubase-4-to-create-a-tempo-track--audio-854 (write http : / / before, I can't post url 's yet)

This way you keep the natural feel of the live track, while all the midi parts can be perfectly quantized to snap in place following the ever changing rhythm.

Hope this helps,
Kris

I have been messing around with changing audio tracks to time based, changing them in the pool as well.

I just have no clue how this works.....

$40 Paypal to anyone who can walk me through the way to do this ASAP. :)

I have done this, but I only have limited knowledge of Cubase so probably there is a better way :-)

First, move your track a few bars to the right, you WILL need the space... Then slice the guitar part every few bars on a downbeat. Press the '1' button (on the upper left of the keyboard, not the numeric) so your selection arrow has a clock sign next to it. Then pull or push the corners to stretch or shrink the part into the bar. Do the same for the following parts.

On my last project, I opted to do it backwards and made a tempo track to follow the live part. I found a great tutorial here: music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/using-hitpoints-and-markers-in-cubase-4-to-create-a-tempo-track--audio-854 (write http : / / before, I can't post url 's yet)

This way you keep the natural feel of the live track, while all the midi parts can be perfectly quantized to snap in place following the ever changing rhythm.

Hope this helps,
Kris

Thanks man!

Naw, that not something I have time to do. Cubase has the ability to do this quickly, I have just never spent the time to use the features and have no clue where to start. Need it done like yesterday....

Dude really sorry I just saw this, it's very easy just fallow these steps (save your money :))

1. If the tempo is locked to the scratch track then you are ready for the next step, if not you got to get that done first. Watch this video on how to tweak the guess cubase did if anything is out of whack. It's important to start with a click track that fallows the tracks no matter how out of time they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9pbTWTPKO4

2. Any tracks that you want to conform to a solid tempo track:
2a. You must first bounce the audio you want to stretch with the tempo changes. Make sure your crossfades are good and there is plenty of lead in time and lead out time (silence before the first transients). You do this by going Audio/Bounce Selection. Say yes when it asks you if you want to replace the audio.

2b. The reason you need to bounce is essentially you are locking the fluctuating tempo to the audio track. You are telling cubase "this is the tempo to this track" prior to this the track thinks it's whatever the project tempo originally was.

3. Once you have all the tracks bounced double click on the ones you want to stretch with the tempo changes as you make them. In the sample edit window you need to turn on musical mode under the audio warp tab.

4. Last on the track you need to turn the clock icon to the music note icon. I'm sure you are familiar with this button if you have been working with cubase for any length of time but it's the button between the lock track button and the arm track button.

Once all that is done, feel free to to change the tempo. If things don't work (they usually do) you might have to adjust the hit point detection under the sample edit window. I doubt you will have to do this though.

Thanks G!

Naw, I have a live recording (i played drums) no click track. I was able to create a tempo track via 'Tempo Detection'.

I now have a tempo track that is following the live performance. Obviously it varies a bit. I need to make that tempo completely solid to a click track to redo the drums in perfect time. The other tracks will be re-recorded after I lock in a solid drum track.

What I want to do, is get the out of time scratch guitar tracks to move in time with the accurate click track, so that I have them as reference when playing to the actual click track.

Wait, I think you may have already given me the answer...

I'm going to try now.

Ok, wait.

I had to export the drums from the live track back in to project, in order to create a track that I could use 'Tempo Detection'. I have that now. And strangely enough, it worked.

Am I on the right path? When you say 'Locked' to the scratch track, I am not sure I am there yet.

Sorry, this is not my thing...

And you know I will pay for direct advice. Money is not the issue. I just wish for direct 'get this done now' type of direction. :)

Yeah, I am still fooked. Or just stupid when it comes to approaching this.

Not sure I explained correctly. ..

The drum track I played is irrelevant. The Tempo track that Cubase created for it is not what I want. I need to make the audio from the scratch tracks match up to a set 'constant' tempo. So making the detected tempo from the scratch track consistent 92BPM, and make the guitar scratch track follow this.

Sorry, I just have no understanding of how to make the scratch guitars follow the changed tempo track. Nor do I know how to change the created tempo track to be in time.

Man, I am sure this will be easy once it is explained. Right now I am a complete noob.

No offense, but the video didn't help me as I have no starting point here. Or I am just stupid. That could be the case...

Jimmy do you know how to do like a screenshare chat? I have no idea how to do it but would be more than willing to show you if you want.

I have another idea that might work but I'm not sure how well. I would like to be able to talk and not just chat if I'm going to show you what's up.

Actually, maybe I can make this a group thing if anyone else wants. I have a dropcam account and would just have to dole out the login information.

If I did that though we would have to agree on a time and messaging would have to happen over some sort of instant messenger system, I use Facebook, google, and AIM.

I'll look into the screen share thing, I've heard it's possible.

Ok yes I see it inside skype. I would need you to setup skype on your computer to walk you through it, or we can do the dropcam thing. Skype is more than likely going to be easier to see though.

I would love to do such a thing!

Get some sleep man. I am recovering from the flu now anyway. This project not my top priority today....

Thank you!

I have used 'Join me' before without issue, though not really sure I want to use it on my recording PC.

Sent PM and the project folder.

Actually, I can place the webcam in front of one of the monitors and it not too bad.

Anyway, I'm around all night if you get some time. :)

Back