Technical question about getting plug-ins information

Henri9009

Hi all!

So close to what I'm searching for, I wonder if there would be a solution. I'm aware that it would be almost a miracle if I success.

Mac user, I have an old PC Cubase session. I really want to work again on that song. In the first place, I want to rebuild it (the old version is great to me).

I know the plug-ins that I used at the time (they're installed on my computer), but I don't know the precise sounds I used, among hundreds.

I could install a trial (Cubase LE AI Elements 9.5) and open the old session. I see the name of the plug-ins link to each track, but the link is not active when I open the session. I can activate that link (assign the right VST to a track), but after doing so, it behaves like I just opened a new plug-in, and though, there's no sign of the precise sound I was using on that precise track.

My question: is there a miraculous way to know which plug-in sounds I used on each tracks? That information must be somewhere in a file?

I hope I'm clear.

Thanks a lot!

Are we talking about a processing plug in or a vsti? I'm very confused. If you have the missing add on, vsti or effect plugin, on the system, why does your current cubase version not recognise it? I'm guessing it's a 32 bit vsti/plugin that is to supported hence why you are thinking about a 32 bit version? Have you installed the trial because you say "you could install..." But then you talk about seeing it's name? You've confused me totally I'm afraid can you be specific about your current cubase version and the name of the missing vsti?

Are we talking about a processing plug in or a vsti? I'm very confused. If you have the missing add on, vsti or effect plugin, on the system, why does your current cubase version not recognise it? I'm guessing it's a 32 bit vsti/plugin that is to supported hence why you are thinking about a 32 bit version? Have you installed the trial because you say "you could install..." But then you talk about seeing it's name? You've confused me totally I'm afraid can you be specific about your current cubase version and the name of the missing vsti?

I do my best to explain this in English.

I'm talking about VST Instruments.

I did the old session on a PC with Cubase.
I'm now on Mac working with Logic. I want to rebuild the session in Logic.

I want to use, in the first place, the very same sounds I used in the old session. All I have (beside the .cpr file) is a MP3.

These VST Instruments (that I used in the old session) are installed on my computer.

I installed a trial version of Cubase. The old session opens without any problem. I see the VST instruments assign to each track, but there's no sign of the precise sounds I was using in those VSTs.

I'm looking for that information (which sounds I used).

Thank you!

I've tried opening up some old projects from ten years ago in Cubase 10.5 on Collosus - which is still on my system. It opens, and gives me a prompt it can't find the Collosus library do I want to search - I say yes and it finds it and asks If I want to set this as a default. I say yes and it loads AND selects the right instrument. Trying to load a track with a MIDI track labelled Yamaha XG returns the track, and the programme number. So far - any VSTi that existed and is still on the system, apart from 32 bit ones which don't function any longer at all (apart from ones I'm using a bridge to - which are fine).
On my MacBook with artist 10.5, loading up my PC .cpr files - from Cubase 10.5, works with instruments that are installed, however,
Halion Sonic - I get this message - some files are missing BUT sonic shows the name of the missing instrument, so I know it was synth harp - even though I can't play it.

Same with Spitfire Albion - it gives me the track name, but Kontakt full is not present and there is no sign of the instrument details in Kontakt player.

Not looking good.

If it helps - I'd be happy to see if I can load up your project on my system and see if mine gives the programme numbers and details?

Let me know and I'll send my email address.

Finally, I made it by opening the .cpr file with an Hex editor. After a couple of hours searching in the code, I found the presets names. :-)

I’m really happy about this!

With the Cubase trial, I can export the MIDI tracks, so I’m all set to rebuild this in Logic.

Thank you!

Back