Split track to multiple mono channels

AkeMake

I made mistake while recording audio. I was supposed to record six microphones (speaker, interpreters and couple spare mics) all to different files so that I can edit them separately and combine them as I want but I recorded them all accidentally to one file. At first I thought that I can not fix this and they all will be upon each other and impossible to listen or separate.

But then I put that file to Cubase and found out that they are all in one track but in six separate channels. I tried to find the answer from the internet how to separate those channels but without success. I can separate two first channels (as if they were L and R) to different files from File > Export > Audio Mixdown... but then I lose rest four channels. How I can separate these six channels to six tracks?

One track six channels.png

If Cubase is clever, it will have an 'explode lanes into separate tracks' function. Reaper has this function, so I imagine other DAWS will have it.

Failing that, you could duplicate the track six times, then select an different active lane for each.

Yes, I made mistake and corrected it for next speech. So not all my recordings are like this.
Hmm... Maybe I didn't know the right words to describe this problem. So these are not multiple channels inside the one track? But anyway, I want to divide this track to six separate tracks.

I tried to export this file different ways but nothing worked. In File > Export > Audio Mixdown...
There is three options under title "Audio Engine Output", Mono Downmix, Split Channels and L/R channels. Nothing of those does what I want. "Mono downmix" makes the same as "L/R channels": Two of those first lanes/channels is exported to one file. "Split channels" exports two first lanes/channels to two different files but rest four lanes/channels disappears.

So I still haven't solved this problem..

Ouh.. By the way, I am using Cubase LE 9.5 and not Cubase Pro.

Export Audio Mixdown.png

The problem with this is that you have created a multi channel file? what did you do it on, that you then put into cubase? I think I have solved it.

I took a 5.1 video file, in premiere saved it as a 5.1 .wav. This I brought into cubase elements that I have own the laptop, with 9.5 pro on the studio machine. I have had no luck at all on either version of cubase - they appear unable to be edited individually - HOWEVER - I can do it in Adobe audition. I can bring in the 5.1 file, and then deselect the components, and then save out each one separately. Embedded audio files cubase can handle, but only as a single file. If you have audition, that will do what you want.
The even better news is that Audacity can also do it - and of course, is free. Actually - it's easier, because each of the five tracks can be muted with a button on the timeline panel, not a menu hidden away as it is with Audition. I may find a way within cubase - I'll try but no luck so far.

Last edited:
It's a simple process on a stereo file in Vegas Pro. I'd be surprised if there isn't a way to do this in your software.

Right click on the track itself (where the R/W buttons are not the audio portion).

Select "Track Control Settings..." in the next window.

It should open settings and default to the Audio tab.

In this window make sure "Lane Display type" is in visible controls and not hidden.

Use said button to toggle lanes view in cubase.

I'm also somehow suspicious that I am looking at a glued part so right click on the wave form.

Scroll down to "Audio"

Then select "Dissolve Part" *By the way anyone reading this, this is how you undo a glued part (not event) if you accidentally did it and can't undo.

Hope this helps. You should be able to pull the parts into different tracks by drag and dropping once they are separated or different visually.

I followed the instructions given by Guitargodgt until I came to Audio tab in "Track Control Settings..."
There was no "Lane Display type" option at all.

However I managed to solve this problem by using GarageBand.
GarabeBand handled those channels as separate tracks so it was quite straightforward to save each channel to its own file and then open them in Cubase for further editing.
Thank you all for your advices!

Track Control Settings.png

You know - sometimes you just waste your time. I have LE, I have Cubase Pro, I tested the problem, I brought in multitrack audio, I tried alternatives, and I tried guitar godgt's sensible suggestion and confirmed this doesn't work like you expect. I've been using Cubase since 1994, and figured my effort might have been worthwhile confirming it doesn't work and finding a solution.

I'm glad you tried something else and it worked. I've added this Cubase quirk to my list of things it does less well than the others.

Yeah unfortunately I haven't used LE since version 4, and it was version 1 prior to that. They have changed a lot about the LE platform. Some of it good, some of it not so good.

I like that Steinberg finally made it backward compatible though. It used to be if you opened an SL project in SX or an LE project in SL you could never open it again in the inferior version.

Same went for version numbers, you couldn't go backwards from say SL3 to SL2.

The program has come a long way.

Back