Software Drums

darkstar32448

Hi Guy's,

I'm just getting started in digital recording and need some help. I have laid down some tracks (alt. country/rock) using cubase 5.0 and now need to add some drum tracks. I have a Kurzweil sp76 and I'm using a Tascam us-428. I'd like to have each drum sound on a different track if possible for mixdown purposes. I really have no idea how to get started and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Do I need sampled drum sounds, software?? I am thinking I will use the sp76 as a midi controller but have no clue how to do this. Thanks for any input and advice.

Check out Fruity Loops, it's affordable, really easy to get into and serves mosts drum needs.

Laj

I live by the LM-4, though I haven't yet upgraded to the Mk II. The new one has more features, but the old one still works fine for me.

The LM-4 II won't give you all of the drums on seperate tracks, but you can get the critical ones out for their own effects, mixing automation, etc. Its pretty memory intensive, especially if you use the great sounding 24-bit drum kits, and it will eat into your CPU some since its a VST plug.

The nice thing about it, other than it sounds pretty good if you program it with care, is that it plays right along with your stuff in Cubase. Since you've already recorded your audio it is possible, though still a pain, to edit your drum tracks to play in time with any little timing errors there may be. You can also switch kits around, tune each drum sepreately, and pan each drum any which way. I like it.

If you'd like to hear it, I have a couple tunes up that I think I did a fair job of programing it on.

http://chrisshaeffer.iuma.com

The songs with the LM-4 are "The Edge of Town" (I think the best programming), "The Dawn", and "Come Out and Play" (which might be the closest to your genre and is the smallest mp3)

All use the Wizoo 24 bit kits that came with it- I never use the 16 bit kits.

Chris

Chris,

Man, that's good to hear. I've been reading good things about the LM-4 and plan to pick it up soon.

Thanks!

-Lunatic

Club zero, you're absolutely right about the samples being mostly poo, but as was also mentioned it's very easy to grasp and is a good tool for somebody who's just gettin started. Chris/lunatic Ihaven't looked into the LM-4 too much, guess I'll have to take a closer look...

Laj

I use the LM-4 and it's awesome. I always use the 24bit Wizoo drumsets. Within Cubase5, I assign each drum to a channel thereby giving each drum it's own eq,pan, and seperate effects settings. You can do some great drum stuff with this software. it's a real drumstick hitting an actual skin, rather than the old frequency based sound I had for eyars on my BOSS DR-550.
It's night and day....a really powerful drum world this software is.
I spend hours tweaking the drums to get 'em "just right".
If you have former experience programming the BOSS, it'ss cinch to get into the swing of things with the LM-4.
Highly recmmended.

yes pg 13 u said it reason +it works well with midi if you want the whole studio go no futher get your hands on reason and u will have many drum machines and samplers 2

Back