sends and inserts

I was watching a video on sends fx on YT. I could appreciate that you might want to effect individual tracks and maybe all tracks with a little reverb on the way out. I saw how you make an fx track and select an effect and it will show up on both the inserts and sends drop down menu to be turned on if wanted. The thing is.... why would I put that reverb on the
sends side instead of on the insert side...? I see that it would work either way...and if I wanted to wash all the tracks in a little special reverb ,I see it would be a send... but track by track why would I put an effect on the sends side instead of the insert side... the guy in the video was using the sends side but it wasnt for all the tracks, it was just an fx for one track.. was he just showing that you could do either way..??

There are a couple reasons you would use a send instead of an insert.
1. If you want the same effect on multiple channels
2. If you want to control the effect separately from the channel.

Some times it's easier to control the amount of effect from an effects send than it is from the mix control on the effect. When you set up a send, you have the mix control on the effect at 100% wet and you control the mix with the fader. On an insert, you have to control the amount of reverb (for example) with the mix control on the effect itself.

You might want to add compression or eq to a reverb (or delay) without it affecting the dry signal. I frequently put EQ after a reverb and sometimes put a compressor in front of one. I just recently used a gate on the input of a delay and eq on its output. You just can't do that on an insert. And that was for delay on a single channel.

Back