Routing Question.

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Hi Guys,

I have a question about routing a track out of the box into an external compressor and back into a seperate track. I was trying to do this last night and a couple of questions came up that I never thought about before.

1)Since the master bus is Stereo, and the vocals are recorded mono, do I:
a) Route a stereo signal out to the compressor and back in as mono?
b) Route a stereo signal out to the compressor and back in as stereo?
c) Create a new mono bus, route the track through that Bus and back in
to a mono bus?

2)When going out from Cubase, since my breakout box has 4 outs (2 stereo
outs), do I:
a) Run one line out for mono into the compressor? (either left or right?)
b) Run Stereo out using a split mono (Seperate tip & ring connector) to
stereo (TRS) Cable using both left & right outs from the breakout box?

Sorry for the long winded questions but the whole routing business can get a little confusing for me. Thanks for your help!

1) Since your original track is Mono it really doesn't matter. If you're sending a Mono track out and want it returned as a Stereo track you're really just returning 2 mono tracks.

Easto said:
1) Since your original track is Mono it really doesn't matter. If you're sending a Mono track out and want it returned as a Stereo track you're really just returning 2 mono tracks.

But would that help/hurt in any way? What's the ideal way to do it if any?

you have to create a new mono bus to send the the channel out on (that is, if you only have stereo master bus created).
you should already have an input bus created, since you recorded your vocals already, right?
send the track out on the newly created mono bus, into your compressor, and then back in to a separate channel.
voila!!
once thing you must be wary of though. there might be a slight timing offsett between the original track and the newly recorded track because of soundcard latency. if so, you gotta correct the timing of the new track. you can do this in the inspector.

audiofreqs said:
you have to create a new mono bus to send the the channel out on (that is, if you only have stereo master bus created).
you should already have an input bus created, since you recorded your vocals already, right?
send the track out on the newly created mono bus, into your compressor, and then back in to a separate channel.
voila!!
once thing you must be wary of though. there might be a slight timing offsett between the original track and the newly recorded track because of soundcard latency. if so, you gotta correct the timing of the new track. you can do this in the inspector.

Oh ok.. So I'll go out through a mono bus back into the mono input bus. But now on my breakoout box.. I have four outs (2 stereo), do I just use one of the four outputs? (left or right?)

Are you using Cubase SX3 by chance? If so, you just have to create an "external FX" send and Cubase will calculate your delays for you:) You don't even have to record it to a new track:D

It seems to me he intends to make use of his Avalon compressor(who wouldn't?) within cubase. I would create4 a bus from the insert section. It seems to me to be the most logical way to go.

hueseph said:
It seems to me he intends to make use of his Avalon compressor(who wouldn't?) within cubase. I would create4 a bus from the insert section. It seems to me to be the most logical way to go.

That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to tinker with the settings last night so I haven't tried any of the previous suggestions just yet. when you say create a bus from the "insert" section.. are you referring to the Sends on the individual track? Or to the input Bus?

Did you ever say if you are using SX3? if you are SX3 has a new feature called "external FX". This feature is built specifically for what you are trying to do here. It even measures the latency involved with getting your signal out of the box to your compressor, and back in. Then it automatically Delay compensates your whole project in order to keep the tracks locked in nice and tight. It uses a "pinging" method to calculate the time. Just make sure that when you "Ping" your outboard gear, that it is in bypass mode on the hardware itself. If not, and you are using any kind of outboard that may have any time based effect (delays, gates etc...) it will set your delay compensation up based on that which would mean that the outboard tracks would be improperly aligned.

xstatic said:
Did you ever say if you are using SX3? if you are SX3 has a new feature called "external FX". This feature is built specifically for what you are trying to do here. It even measures the latency involved with getting your signal out of the box to your compressor, and back in. Then it automatically Delay compensates your whole project in order to keep the tracks locked in nice and tight. It uses a "pinging" method to calculate the time. Just make sure that when you "Ping" your outboard gear, that it is in bypass mode on the hardware itself. If not, and you are using any kind of outboard that may have any time based effect (delays, gates etc...) it will set your delay compensation up based on that which would mean that the outboard tracks would be improperly aligned.

Hey sorry about that, unfortunately I'm using SX 2.0 right now. Sounds like a nice feature though. Eventually I'll definitely have to upgrade.. even though my next software choice may be pro tools. But as far as latency is concerned since I'll mainly be doing it for main vocals only, It shouldn't be too much a pain in the ass to shift them over a couple of miliseconds to match. I've become a surgeon of sorts with this thing. ;)

Back