questions about the Steinberg UR44 and Cubase AI

Navin Advani

Hi,

I have absolutely no experience in Audio Interfaces or DAWs.

I am looking for a USB Audio Interface with 4 preamp inputs (2 guitars, 2 mics) and zeroed down to the Steinberg UR44 and Focusrite 8i18 (no I am not trolling nor do I intend to).

1. I am using a Windows 10 PC (i7 8GB RAM). I have heard that Audio Interfaces often have driver issues with Windows. How stable is the Steinberg / Cubase AI combination with Windows?
  2. I see on Steinberg's website that they have a UR22 MkII and a UR22 MkII recording pack but the UR44 has not been updated to the Mk II nor do they sell any recording pack for the UR44. How come the UR44 has not been updated as the UR22 was?
  3. Lastly what is WaveLab LE? Will I get a copy with my UR44?

Thank you

Regards
Navin

I've not had any driver issues with Windows 10 for audio apart from an occasional dropout on my Tascam interface - when Cubase loses it, and I have too turn it off and turn it on again. The Windows 10 driver problem is on some other devices - mostly in my experience RS232 drivers, where the older ones are actually the better ones, and it constantly replaces a working old driver with a non-working new one.

The UR44 as far as I'm aware, comes complete with a copy of Cubase AI & Cubasis LE to get you started straight out of the box. No mention of wave lab, but Cubase LE is a good one to get started on. No idea what AI does, sorry. Steinberg are very good to talk to - I'd advise just going to their website and asking. Normally a response comes very quickly. Warning though - if you ever ask for technical help, you must be very detailed and very precise, otherwise they want too take control of your computer and do it for you. Some like that, I personally don't.

I've not had any driver issues with Windows 10 for audio apart from an occasional dropout on my Tascam interface...

The UR44 as far as I'm aware, comes complete with a copy of Cubase AI & Cubasis LE to get you started straight out of the box.

Steinberg are very good to talk to - I'd advise just going to their website and asking.

Thank you for this quick response. Good to know that Windows 10 has few if any issues with the Steinberg hardware.

I did try to email Steinberg but they only take email from customers who already have purchased their products.

Thank you for this quick response. Good to know that Windows 10 has few if any issues with the Steinberg hardware.

I did try to email Steinberg but they only take email from customers who already have purchased their products.

Haha! They don't reply to users of hardware/software that have used them for 20 years...

Steinberg support kinda sucks if you do not know how to go about it properly. For the most part you are best to just rely on the members on their forum and some here if you have issues. Most problems are user based and the ones who constantly complain on the Steinberg forum are just trolls wishing for either impossible improvements or just blah blah...

It does seem at times that "I need help with Cubase" is a direct English/German translation to "I am fine with Cubase". LMAO!

Been using Cubase for 7 years or more. Steinberg interfaces for 5 or so. No problems with support or product. Other than the usual WTF moments that someone has helped me through. Most have just been my own user error.

Haha! They don't reply to users of hardware/software that have used them for 20 years...

Steinberg support kinda sucks if you do not know how to go about it properly. ..It does seem at times that "I need help with Cubase" is a direct English/German translation to "I am fine with Cubase". LMAO!

Thanks. I have bought a UR44 now. Lets see how it goes. Thanks to some family commitments I haven't had a chance to install it. That and the USB cable supplied with it was too short.

Cool! Feel free to ask any questions .

But why do you find the USB cable short? 3m or 10 feet is max. Shorter the better man.

I thought the spec was 15' max, but maybe that's just USB 3.0. I actually have 2 15' cables running to my two RAID boxes in the closet. Never had any issues, but it is 3.0, and it could be error correcting like crazy and I'd probably not notice.

Pretty sure USB 2 is a max of 10 feet. I tried exceeding that to 15' and it failed. Not sure about USB3 but can only assume there is a reason to keep it close and short.

ecc83? :)

Actually I think DM60 may be one to ask.

I am not sure myself of the needs/demands for longer cable as I only have 6' between mt PC and interfaces. All USB 3.0 now.

I just checked at usb.org, so "straight from the horse's mouth" as they say. There are a *lot* of documents and revisions, but here's what I found in a quick search. (Paraphrased, feel free to do your own search to confirm!)

USB 2.0 cable lengths are not to exceed 4.5m (about 14.5ft) with a standard A and mini-B connector. Micro series connectors reduce that to 2.0m (about 6.5ft).

USB 3.0 (and 3.1) says there isn't a cable length max, but that it's the electrical specs that must be met, so I suppose in outer space a really long cable might be used, but probably sticking to the USB 2.0 lengths is not going to get you in trouble.

I thought the spec was 15' max, but maybe that's just USB 3.0.

Pretty sure USB 2 is a max of 10 feet. I am not sure myself of the needs/demands for longer cable as I only have 6' between mt PC and interfaces. All USB 3.0 now.

I believe that the USB 3.0 spec is 3m (10 ft) and the USB 2.0 spec in theory is 4.5m (13.5 ft.) but in practice USB 2.0 does not work well beyond 3m (10 ft.).

Back