Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: questions about the Steinberg UR44 and Cubase AI

Thanks

questions about the Steinberg UR44 and Cubase AI

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

I have absolutely no experience in Audio Interfaces or DAWs.

I am looking for a USB Audio Interface with 4 preamp inputs (2 guitars, 2 mics) and zeroed down to the Steinberg UR44 and Focusrite 8i18 (no I am not trolling nor do I intend to).

1. I am using a Windows 10 PC (i7 8GB RAM). I have heard that Audio Interfaces often have driver issues with Windows. How stable is the Steinberg / Cubase AI combination with Windows?
    2. I see on Steinberg's website that they have a UR22 MkII and a UR22 MkII recording pack but the UR44 has not been updated to the Mk II nor do they sell any recording pack for the UR44. How come the UR44 has not been updated as the UR22 was?
    3. Lastly what is WaveLab LE? Will I get a copy with my UR44?

Thank you

Regards
    Navin

Thanks
    I've not had any driver issues with Windows 10 for audio apart from an occasional dropout on my Tascam interface - when Cubase loses it, and I have too turn it off and turn it on again. The Windows 10 driver problem is on some other devices - mostly in my experience RS232 drivers, where the older ones are actually the better ones, and it constantly replaces a working old driver with a non-working new one.

The UR44 as far as I'm aware, comes complete with a copy of Cubase AI & Cubasis LE to get you started straight out of the box. No mention of wave lab, but Cubase LE is a good one to get started on. No idea what AI does, sorry. Steinberg are very good to talk to - I'd advise just going to their website and asking. Normally a response comes very quickly. Warning though - if you ever ask for technical help, you must be very detailed and very precise, otherwise they want too take control of your computer and do it for you. Some like that, I personally don't.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    I've not had any driver issues with Windows 10 for audio apart from an occasional dropout on my Tascam interface...

The UR44 as far as I'm aware, comes complete with a copy of Cubase AI & Cubasis LE to get you started straight out of the box.

Steinberg are very good to talk to - I'd advise just going to their website and asking.
    Thank you for this quick response. Good to know that Windows 10 has few if any issues with the Steinberg hardware.

I did try to email Steinberg but they only take email from customers who already have purchased their products.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Advani View Post
    Thank you for this quick response. Good to know that Windows 10 has few if any issues with the Steinberg hardware.

I did try to email Steinberg but they only take email from customers who already have purchased their products.
    Haha! They don't reply to users of hardware/software that have used them for 20 years...

Steinberg support kinda sucks if you do not know how to go about it properly. For the most part you are best to just rely on the members on their forum and some here if you have issues. Most problems are user based and the ones who constantly complain on the Steinberg forum are just trolls wishing for either impossible improvements or just blah blah...

It does seem at times that "I need help with Cubase" is a direct English/German translation to "I am fine with Cubase". LMAO!

Been using Cubase for 7 years or more. Steinberg interfaces for 5 or so. No problems with support or product. Other than the usual WTF moments that someone has helped me through. Most have just been my own user error.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Haha! They don't reply to users of hardware/software that have used them for 20 years...

Steinberg support kinda sucks if you do not know how to go about it properly. ..It does seem at times that "I need help with Cubase" is a direct English/German translation to "I am fine with Cubase". LMAO!
    Thanks. I have bought a UR44 now. Lets see how it goes. Thanks to some family commitments I haven't had a chance to install it. That and the USB cable supplied with it was too short.

Thanks
    Cool! Feel free to ask any questions .

But why do you find the USB cable short? 3m or 10 feet is max. Shorter the better man.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    But why do you find the USB cable short? 3m or 10 feet is max. Shorter the better man.
    Yeah I don't need more than 3m but the supplied cable is less than 2m so I need to get a longer one.

Thanks
    Extending USB is never a good move if you can avoid it - I can do it on some devices but not on others.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I thought the spec was 15' max, but maybe that's just USB 3.0. I actually have 2 15' cables running to my two RAID boxes in the closet. Never had any issues, but it is 3.0, and it could be error correcting like crazy and I'd probably not notice.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

14. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pretty sure USB 2 is a max of 10 feet. I tried exceeding that to 15' and it failed. Not sure about USB3 but can only assume there is a reason to keep it close and short.

ecc83?

Actually I think DM60 may be one to ask.

I am not sure myself of the needs/demands for longer cable as I only have 6' between mt PC and interfaces. All USB 3.0 now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information