problem recording audio with fast track pro

Ido

Hi
I'm trying to record a bass guitar using fast track pro (m-audio) but i don't seem to get a signal from the channel in cubase. i added an audio track and set the I/O according to the settings i configured on the transport pannel but there's no signal...
by the way, I can hear the guitar from the speakers (which are connected to the m-audio sound card), so the plug is ok; also i was able to record midi tracks using a keyboad i have, if that's relevant in any way..
I also checked that the default recording device is the line1/2 of the FastTrack (using win7)..

please help...

sounds like you have it all routed ok so maybe its just that your daw is not monitoring it. try pressing the monitor button next to record enable and see if that what it is

i've tried that..

but there are no bars moving when i play the guitar - the signal doesn't get through to the computer/cubase, and i can't understand why..

I also checked that the default recording device is the line1/2 of the FastTrack (using win7)..

Are you recording a stereo track
Make sure you have created an input bus
make sure you have the proper channel (1 or 2 Mono) selected as the input at the top of the mixer channel strip.
Can you post a screen shot?
not sure i'm helping but i'm trying ok I dont have this interface but check your setting on there too.

screenshots

uploading screenshots of everything. tell me if you want to see anything else..
appreciate your help!
i got another error about ASIO (added to screenshots) but i changed the ASIO settings a couple of times and it stoped (now it's on M-Audio again like in the sceenshot)

screenshots on my picasa (copy and paste) i didn't manage with the forum's uploader:
//picasaweb.google.com/znamnam/CubaseForum#

i installed the latest drvier from M-Audio (for win 7 SP1)
about the link to my screenshots:
try maybe this
//picasaweb.google.com/znamnam/CubaseForum?authuser=0&feat=directlink

sorry but what do you mean by "armed the track"?
i don't understand what's wrong with PICASA, i did upload it. i'll check it soon

finally screenshots !

i added the screenshots of windows sound settings, cubase settings, cubase front screen, and an error i got about ASIO.
i changed the ASIO settings a couple of times and it stoped (now it's on M-Audio again like in the sceenshot)

please help... :confused:

Attachments

• cubase error.png
    cubase error.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 9
  • cubase win7 sound.jpg
    cubase win7 sound.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 9
  • cubase guitar channel.jpg
    cubase guitar channel.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 9
  • cubase setup2.jpg
    cubase setup2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Stay out of that VST System link settings page. Change that ASIO input to not connected and uncheck the active checkbox. Now show us your input tab on the VST Connections window.

I should also add that there shouldn't be a need to screw with the windows sound settings. I just plug mine in, turn it on and select it as the ASIO device in cubase.

Also, I find it odd that the one window that lists all of the ins and outs shows the 2 outs as inactive yet you have them set up as the outs in the VST connection window. That should't be.

i did as you said in the VST System Link.
added in VST Conn Inputs

the thing about the inactive outputs you said is because i'm using regular computer speakers (1 output jack) so they are connected to the phones output of the fast track. any way the problem is with getting the signal in not out :)

by the way, i'm getting the ASIO error (previuos screenshot) every time i startup cubase, then i need to change the ASIO to "Generic something..." (onboard sound card) and only then i can choose the M-Audio ASIO again without getting the same error over and over again.. what's up with that?!

Attachments

• cubase vst ins.png
    cubase vst ins.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
The headphone out of your Fast Track is out 1/2 mixed with input signal. VST System Link needs to be completely disabled as TF has stated. The settings in Control Panel>Sound only matter for playback of windows based audio such as Media Player and Itunes, through the Fast Track. Cubase is completely separate from those settings. Everything else looks right. My Clock source with my interface reads 'Hardware'. Though I am not sure that matters in this case.

On VST System Link window, uncheck 'Active, and select 'Not Connected' in the ASIO drop downs. Click Apply/OK. You should be good to go.

as i told TF, i fixed those things in the VST System Link, and still things are the same, no input from the guitar channel.. :(

At what point did that 'sample rate' message come up? It could be possible that Cubase is set at a sample rate that the Fast Track cannot support. I wouldn't think that you would have changed the default of that though.

I am just trying to brainstorm here as it looks like everything is in order. Must be a setting wrong somewhere.

i get this error message every time i open Cubase
you can see in the screenshots that it's set to 24 bit and th Fast Track can handle it (i just checked the manual)

24 bit is 'bit depth'. Sample rate is not the same. In Cubase, what is listed under Project>Project Setup...Sample Rate?

Back