Pitch and tempo problems in Cubase pro 8.5: Help please?

lapier77

Hello everyone, my name is Scott. Cubase seems to have taken over my computer. If I want to listen to anything from windows media player, I need to import it as an audio track into a session. It seems that when I import anything into a session, not only is the tempo off, but so is the pitch. I have tried just about everything I can think of to fix this. Can anyone help?

Hello everyone, my name is Scott. Cubase seems to have taken over my computer. If I want to listen to anything from windows media player, I need to import it as an audio track into a session. It seems that when I import anything into a session, not only is the tempo off, but so is the pitch. I have tried just about everything I can think of to fix this. Can anyone help?

Howdy Scott! :)

Cubase only uses the ASIO device driver you assign to it. In other words, your soundcard/interface. You need only select the same interface as your default device in Windows as well.

What OS? Any version of Windows is similar. Control Panel>Sound>select your interface as default audio device for both recording and playback. In Cubase; under Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System> check the box 'Release Driver when Application is in Background'. This should allow Media Player to use the interface when Cubase is locked to it, as long as it is in the background. If that made sense....

Now as far as importing files to Cubase, that should not change the tempo or pitch of the imported files unless you tell it to. This will have much to do with how you are set up in any particular project tho.

I believe you will have issues if you are running Cubase at 48 or 96k and import a file without 'convert sample rate to project'. I am just guessing at the issue here though.

If you are on a Windows machine, make sure that you don't have certain audio files assigned to Cubase. To change, right click on the audio file and select "Open With", find your player and there should be and option to make that the default action.

Hey there PC/WIN10 is my OS. This computer is about a month old. I went in to make sure the interface was set as the default, ended up finding an up-date, and downloaded the up-date. Now everything is fine. WTH? I was recording and everything for the first three weeks before it all weirded out on me. I was walking around the house listening to the media player when everything went out of whack. I wasn’t even sitting at the desk when the song sped up. Weird! I don’t exactly know what happened here, but it has mentioned nothing of an up-date until now.
Thank you! Has this happened to anyone else you know of? Should I expect this again?

I have seen if you associated a file type with a particular program, after an update, that association is set back to default. I seems to be, you or Cubase or something, associated audio file types with Cubase. The update set it back to default.

I've seen this several times on my computer that Windows is pushing Groove, and I reassign the files to what I want. The major updates resets it back to Groove.

Yes, Groove was part of the problem there. It wouldn’t allow us to re-assign the files though. I haven’t been the only one working on it. But I must confess: I didn’t install anything on the new computer at all. I was on another project while my wife installed everything. I didn’t have any problems until about a week ago. The other one is that I am not up to date with WIN10. I have some learning to do. I was using WIN8. Still learning and trying to keep up.
Either way I do appreciate the help! Back to work I go Nice to meet you!

Back