Piano sustain not recording in Cubase 10.5 Pro

jamie1981uk

I've recently bought a Komplete A61 and decided to do more piano work to my songs.
I did notice this issue with my old keyboard but I assumed it was due to it being pretty poor and not supported by Windows 10.

I'm using The grandeur along with the A61 and attached is a Yamaha Sustain pedal FC5 (tbh I wouldn't mind something like the FC4 style).
Outside of Cubase I can get sustain and when recording in Cubase I can get sustain.
But when I play back my recording, I have no sustain.

I have asked in the Steinberg forums but.....I'll leave that story for later.

Any help would be more than appreciated because this issue just put me at a full stop.

Check midi filters - cc64 - if it's in the list and controllers are filtered out you lose the data.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for tbh but after a little messing around and some long reading I used these settings. (images)
When I record my Piano parts they now retain the sustain and cut off when I let go which is fantastic.
The biggest problem is that any parts I have recently recorded still don't play back but I have managed to add sustain which isn't ideal, But it's a fix for now.

Could you please double check those images and let me know if they correct or if I might be losing something else in the near future?
Thanks for the help.

midi filter.PNGmidi port.PNG

Good you sorted it. I think of those as problem solvers. Aftertouch I often filter out when using one older sampler because it somehow gets received as wildly excessive - a string sound with aftertouch goes up and down crazily. Mine are like yours now - everything gets recorded.

Putting in pedalling after you played it always is a compromise I find. I have to quite often, but anything you mess up you can shift easily. I expect you noticed you can change the controller display underneath the note window (when you double click on a track in the project window). Pitchbend, sustain and other stuff can then be put in, edited or fixed with the mouse!

Good you sorted it. I think of those as problem solvers. Aftertouch I often filter out when using one older sampler because it somehow gets received as wildly excessive - a string sound with aftertouch goes up and down crazily. Mine are like yours now - everything gets recorded.

Putting in pedalling after you played it always is a compromise I find. I have to quite often, but anything you mess up you can shift easily. I expect you noticed you can change the controller display underneath the note window (when you double click on a track in the project window). Pitchbend, sustain and other stuff can then be put in, edited or fixed with the mouse!

I appreciate the help. Many years ago when I was at college I remember dealing with midi but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this complicated. Maybe I'm just losing my touch or its something Steinberg have made more difficult than it should be. Let's be honest, you buy a new keyboard/controller and it should work on the fly using the settings from the instrument vst you are using specially if the keyboard and vst is made by the same company. I had a pop at a admin/mod on the the Steinberg because I told him Komplete was set to on the i/o and he had no idea what i was on about and said it should be off. If the keyboard isn't on, on the input/output then the keyboard does not work. I was baffled by that suggestion. Sadly their support is off so whoever is running the forums is trying to do support too but, that ended badly one time because they became a little abusive. I'll keep you posted about the midi if it stops.

The trouble is not rally midi. It's just the huge rang of features that features steinberg has for modifying and controlling it. The usual thing with cubase is it picks up changes from old projects that get saved into new ones. It doesn't help, but I bought a kontakt keyboard, best thing I've used, and my sustain pedal was fine. However yesterday I loaded in a project from 2002 which was originally created in the 90s. I've spotted long dead midi devices are now in the device list, including XG and GS devices with all their controller info. I've deleted it all now but it's just how cubase works. Save as keeps these chains linked.

I doubt anybody under 25 at steinberg would make the link. They should, but only if they'd experience it. Odd they didn't suggest filters? The trouble could be the mention of kontakt took them in the wrong direction.

Glad you got sorted.

I've recently bought a Komplete A61 and decided to do more piano work to my songs.
I did notice this issue with my old keyboard but I assumed it was due to it being pretty poor and not supported by Windows 10.

I'm using The grandeur along with the A61 and attached is a Yamaha Sustain pedal FC5 (tbh I wouldn't mind something like the FC4 style).
Outside of Cubase I can get sustain and when recording in Cubase I can get sustain.
But when I play back my recording, I have no sustain.

I have asked in the Steinberg forums but.....I'll leave that story for later.

Any help would be more than appreciated because this issue just put me at a full stop.
I think I have the same problem as you. I have a Yamaha PSR E413 that I use to record on Cubase 10.5 and I recently found how to use the sustain setting on Cubase. The sustain works, but when I record and hear what I just recorded, the sustain disappears. How do I fix this so that the sustain still remains when I record? BTW I do not use a sustain pedal

Last edited:
eh? You are editing in sustain CCs manually, or with a mouse? OK - a few questions. Are you using the Yamaha just as a keyboard to drive Cubase but using a cubase VSTi for the sound, or are you replaying the recorded and sustain edited MIDI back to the Yamaha? I suppose there is a chance the Yamaha is filtering out incoming controllers, but the easy way to trouble shoot this is to create a new track with one of Cubase's Halion pianos - or any VSTi really - they will all respond. Then copy the edited track with the sustain data and notes to this new instrument. Does the sustain cc64 usually, make the VSTi instruments sustain. If they do - the snag is your Yamaha. If they don't, then it's Cubase. What I'm confused about is when you say the sustain works when you record, but you don't hear it on replay. How are you doing this sustain - just explain how things are connected and what you are doing.

Back