output chain

I recorded a guitar track mono channel 1 left on the interface. Then I copied the track to a new track below and it came out 2 tracks on the left channel. So I switched the output of the second track to the right. Now it shows 2 channels active and the sound is fuller but the signal meter on the second track is showing fatter than the first track... like its stereo on its own... what did I do?? do I have 3 channels going now??

The 'effect' that you hear of having two of the same track, is just having more of the same track....It does that.

I must ask why you did that duplication in the first place. Any 'mono' signal that is recorded, is still a mono signal. Does not matter if you duplicate and pan left and right. It is the same thing, only with more gain because it is sending to the stereo output another signal. You could just pan the mono signal to both sides and get the same result.

Hope that made sense.

I actually tried duplicating and panning but that came out on 1 channel. Both tracks on 1 channel playing together..I guess.
here's another question... if you use an FX guitar box that outputs stereo.... and you run that into an audio track in Cubase...
could I just select stereo in( instead of the usual mono) and stereo out on the track routing menu and would I get a 2 waveform stereo track??

I actually tried duplicating and panning but that came out on 1 channel. Both tracks on 1 channel playing together..I guess.
here's another question... if you use an FX guitar box that outputs stereo.... and you run that into an audio track in Cubase...
could I just select stereo in( instead of the usual mono) and stereo out on the track routing menu and would I get a 2 waveform stereo track??

You could.

In my experience, it is always better to use two mono tracks than a stereo one when dealing with guitars ans such. Keys that have an actual stereo signal is a different thing. I like the ability to make changes to each L and R myself. Panning and such...

You can also 'Convert' a stereo track to two mono ones later.

Cubase top menu>Project>Convert Tracks>Multi-Channel to Mono.

That creates two mono tracks. one of the left and one of the right. Then you can send them to stereo out or group channel so you can pan them as you wish and effect separately the two sides.

Make sure you change the output on the created tracks though. It will default to sending to just the left and right out respective, so you don't get the separation/panning ability until you change the output bus.

Back