Nuendo (Hardware + Software) combo Latency and CPU Load Issues

umair

A long time ago, I posted a problem I was having with my nuendo setup. I was having problems with clicks and CPU overload. After a lot of trouble shooting I think the best advice I got was to upgrade my nuendo 1.6 to 2.0.

It took me a while but I did not too long ago. And low and behold, no more major problems. Everything is running smoothly for the most part right now but I still feel like something is wrong. I use plugins quite often and I know my machine is capable of handling quite a bit but the CPU still seems to go to the high end.

This is what I am having problem understanding. Well I guess I should begin by telling you what I have:
Intel P4 2.8Ghz Hyper Threading CPU
Two Hard Drives 7200RPM
ATI Dual VGA Video Card (someone had told me that an upgrade would be good).
And 2 Gigs of RAM. DDR333 I believe, but I honestly can't remember.

Audio Stuff:
Nuendo Brand 8 I/O AD/DA Converters (Two of these)
Nuendo Brand 96/52 Audio Card (Equivalant to RME Hammerfall)
Nuendo 2.0 (Legit)
Waves Platinum (Legit)

I think I am having some synch problems. When I change the Buffer Settings in my driver I noticed that the CPU load increases. That's what I would expect but why does the manual say 0 CPU load like EVERYWHERE in the manual for these things? Is it really not 0 CPU load? It obviously makes a difference when I change the latency. Anyway, the card, and the two converters all have word clock connections which are currently unused. Do you think that is my problem? I am using ASIO drivers. Now, my soundcard says (according to the manual) that I can connect a 9 pin D Type Connector to ensure synching for playback and recording but my converters don't have 9 pin connectors. They only have 25 pin ones.
I know I must sound stupid like a guy who has way too much equipment but keep in mind that using the TOSLINK cables and the cards has worked out fine for me. I just don't understand the latency thing. I can recording 16 tracks simultaneously no problem. But When I play it back and try to record a few more I definitely hear latency (depending on what driver setting I have it on). I've been living with it but I know that shouldn't be.

Sorry if I confused you guys. But any idea what I'm doing wrong. Like I said, I can live with this but I want 0 CPU and 0 Latency like the hammerfall promises! Did I miss something?

I called Steinberg but they didn't seem to know anything about the hardware. Apparently they are discontinuing it. I guess I can call up RME.

By the way, I don't use midi except for the occassional click track. Don't know if that matters or not.

Firstly, I would turn off Hyper threading if you have it on. I beleive you can turn it off within your bios settings. Then make sure that you have a bare bones operating system. When windows is sitting idle, you should have zero cpu utilization. Basically, you want nothing running.....easy to setup.

Your latency issue is definatley with your soundcard driver. Keep playing with all the drivers availbale to you and make sure you have the latest versions.

Hope this goes somewhat towards helping you.

Lee123

Your set-up is almost exactly the same as mine. The only thing different is that I'm using a 2GHz processor; everything else is exactly the same.
I don't have ANY latency issues.

What are your settings for the 96/52?

My driver version is 2.04 created 2/2/03. Is that what you guys have?
It's the only one I could find.

Currently Hyper Threading is on. I will turn it off and give that a try.

When I use Task Manager to check CPU load, there is almost none (like 2%) when Windows is Idle.

As far as the settings on the 96/52:
I have Check Input and Monitoring checked off in the MME section.
Buffer Size (Latency) is 1024 (23 ms).
SPDIF In is Coaxial (nothing is connected there).
SPDIF Out is blank
Clock Mode is AutoSync
AEB is unchecked
Pref Sync Ref is ADAT1 In.
Sync Ref Inp. Master, Freq 44.1Khz

Are you sure I'm not doing something wrong with the word clocks and syncing... thats kinda what steinberg was getting at?

Just going back to your cpu, 2% is far from ideal. Here is a very quick checklistfor you:
Make sure Anti Virus is off
Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/TroubleShooting tab - Hardware Excelleration to None.
Control Panel/Sounds - Turn off all windows sounds.
Start/Run, Type MsConfig - Startup tab - Disable any apps that you don't need.
This will get you started....

Yeah... I did all of those things and the cpu load goes from 0 - 2% for short little spikes. I think its ok.

But I noticed a few other weird things happening so I think you may be on to something. ITs been a while since I reinstalled XP. So I think that may be my first step.

I also noticed that I can get the computer to run 26 tracks or so with no clicks or problems at 3ms latency when I don't have any plugins. Very little CPU load. Are waves really use that much CPU or is it an XP problem?

I was thinking about getting a UAD and then using WAVES more sparingly but that seems like a step down.

And finally.... this is more like a basic question to help me understand latency...
Say I am running my sound card at a setting that produces 120ms latency which is a lot. Say I recorded 16 tracks at the same time. Thats fine. They will all be in synch. But now I want to add 1 more. So my computer has to play back the previous 16 tracks (at 120ms latency) and record the new one which I would assume also has latency. Shouldn't the sound files actually line up ok or will the new track be a 10th of a second off? You would have to turn off the cards monitoring and do it through the mixing console too right? I know nuendo has a setting under Expert Options that allows you to compensate. Would I just dial in 120ms for that value? Unfortunately I am not near the recording computer so I can't tell you what the actual field says... its under device setups - VST Multitrack then expert options.

I don't know man. I'm starting to see why people like Macs for this stuff. I am a pretty confident PC guy but don't know squat about macs.

I think your on the right track (excuse the pun) for coping with your latency issue. A way around it could be to render (mixdown) all your tracks to one, mute your other tracks, set the latency low then lay you track down. Once that is done, unmute the others. Muting tracks is almost the same as them not being there so cpu etc is not being used.
Adding the latency setting to the just recorded tracks sound like a novel idea. Never tried it but it sounds like it may work.

Reinstalling Xp is something I do periodically. I use Xp pro, but don't beleive there is a major difference between home and pro. Reistalling Xp may help......especially in you setup of it....

I can also see the benefit of using a mac, but as like you, I am mac iliterate but if I had the money, I would consider it.
I run a P4 2.4 512 with an Echo Layla on Cubase sx 1.X. I am getting great results, so don't give up without a fight.
Keep playing with different drivers and the such.
I'll keep my fingers crosseed for ya.

Lee123

Back