No Sound from VST Instruments in Cubase 5

cerebrate42

Hello there,

I have Cubase 5, and I have a problem with playback from VST instruments.
I make a new instrument track, and import a MIDI file into it (or, really, both at the same time); I have the input routing in the Inspector set to "All MIDI inputs; I have the Instrument space in the Inspector set to any of various VST instruments I have.
When I play this back, I don't hear anything.
The thing is, with an audio track in the same project, I can hear the audio. If I have an instrument plugged in (e.g., guitar via a 1/4"), I can hear it if I'm monitoring it, and I can hear it after I've recorded it and I play back the audio.

The waveform is visible for the MIDI files, and I can see the bar in the Channel tab of the Inspector light up, according to respective intensities (velocities, in this case). I just can't hear it!

Can someone help me out?!

Thanks

Did you install the samples? I made this mistake the first tme I installed cubase and never installed the sound samples on disk 2.

Just about to start a topic with a similar problem but did some research first came across this topic and realized that I had forgotton to go to VST connections and link my output and input to my focusrite soundcard

Hello I didn't want to open new thread becouse mine is similar to this one. I will add some pictures, becouse is much easier to explain my problem when you see it on picture:

When I open Cubase without any project only vst instruments window open and some plugin selected, there is no midi signal in it but signal from keyboard is coming in the control bar down as you can see. I was looking in preferences but I couldn't find anything to set up to enable that. My sound card is normally selected as you can see. But when I open new project and then open vst connection window and enable that little Monitor speaker beside Recording, I can normally use vst-s, and there is signal in vst connection window and plugins two. So my question is how to and where enable that option so I can use vst instruments by not opening the new project and enabling the monitor option, and same problem occur in my nuendo 4 wich is steinberg program two and similar as cubase. My friend can play normally play with no issues, so if someone know what this could be please help, thank you.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Last edited:
Your screenshot is showing midi in, and audio out from the plugin to cubase...

So your problem is either your hardware (audio interface) or your I/O settings. It has nothing to do with the plugin.

I know yes, it's something to do with configurations and I don't know what...I find out now when I create only midi track and play there is no sound I've tried some combination in midi in and out and nothing no sound but when I open VST instruments in new project and try to play there is sound (in cubase case), in nuendo same thing in midi track, but in vst I have to enable monitor to hear midi when I open VST instruments window and load some vst.

my midi in and out are set properly I think, you can see on this pic.

1.jpg

Why do you think it's problem in hardware, cause everything is working in some way, but I think this is more like configuration issues then hardware.

Last edited:
The generic remote is the way you get all the faders and knobs and transport controls to do stuff in cubase. It doesn't really have to do with the keyboard controlling the instrument.

Instead of "all midi inputs" can you select your axiom as an option?

On last picture I posted axiom is already selected, and I tried all other I/O combinations but non of them seems to work.

Last edited:
Audio is working normally, It's just issue in cubase and nuendo with playing midi, can't play when load midi track becouse there is no sound, can't play vst-s until I open new project and load some vst through VST instruments window in cubase. In nuendo when I do all that like in cubase I have to check monitor icon to play vst when I load it, becouse there is no sound until I check it, and thats wierd becouse in both programs preferences are set same.

Last edited:
can't play when load midi track becouse there is no sound, can't play vst-s until I open new project and load some vst through VST instruments window in cubase.

I know, this quote is old - but PLEASE HELP me!

I have exactly the same problem. How did you solve it?

Back