Newbie Problems w/ Cubase 3.7, Soundcards, and Inputs

bourj

I've been doing analog 4-track recording for a long time, and I am switching to PC recording. Equipment includes:
- Cubase VST Studio Pack Ver. 3.7
- Behringer MX602A 6-channel Mixer (I know, no comments on Behringer please....)
- Event Studiophile SP-5B Powered Monitors

I thought the Cubase Studio Pack came with "everything" one needed for PC recording. However, the sound card that comes with the pack has only one analog input (it's that Steinberg ST24/96), and I'm honestly not sure what it's supposed to be used for. All I know is, there doesn't seem to be something provided to allow multi-track, or even stero, recording.

So now I suppose I need a new sound card so I can input into my PC (right now it has a SB16). Is this true? Do I need to purchase some sort of interface to make this system work? I would also like to route to external rackmount effects if possible.

I rarely record more than 2 tracks at once, like a lot of people. Affordability is very important. But still, I need something that can give me either frontal 1/4" and/or XLR inputs, or I need something I can hook the Behringer mixer up to. I saw some comments on the Echo Mia and the Delta-66. Are those most people's suggestions? Is there perhaps a more affordable option out there?

Thanks for your help!

I'm not familiar with the soundcard that came with your studio pack, but you've already got everything you need to get started. You'll probably want to upgrade your card down the road, but the SB (and probably the Steinberg) you have will work.

Just hook the output of your mixer (via stereo cable) into the line-in of your soundcard. Plug in your mic, drum machine, or whatever you're recording into your mixer.

You can now record either 2 mono tracks (careful with the panning and levels) or 1 stereo track.

Route the output from your soundcard into your speakers (or power amp), and you're ready to go.

Back