Need Info - Linear or tempo-based audio tracks

Blue Bear Sound

The way I typically use Cubase (SX) is as an audio editor with tracks being dumped to/from MDM machines....

Essentially, with this usage, tempo in Cubase is an irrelevant concept... but according to the manuals there is some difference in resolution when using linear vs. tempo-based audio tracks....

When you create a new udio track, it defaults to tempo-based.... but i'm not so sure that I shouldn't be converting them all to linear time-based (since they are intended to sync with external machines that are time-based also....

For those of you using Cubase in a siimilar fashion - any comments??

Well you're way above me on this one Bear so if you don't mind I'll try to help you understand this by teaching it to me, hehe.

You dump your tracks from your MDM machine and at this point these tracks are individually synced, in other words compatible to be translated into timing codes for DV-camcorders and VTR's. You are converting these codes to linear using Cubase then editing. When you export back to the MDM machine are you converting the timing back to MTC? If so why convert to start with? I've read that PC based audio workstations produce unstable and jittery MTC code which may be a concern to you. If you're not doing this to edit video, why would you care?

Feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talkin about cause I don't but I'd like to understand. Jeez, I'm still back in the dark ages trying to get audio tracks from cheap analog tapes recorders to line up, what a pain!

An unfortunate choice of words when I said "convert"... I meant toggle the settings....

Audio track settings have a little button that togges between tempo-based referencing and linear (time-based) referencing.... When you create a new audio track (in preparation for recording a new track), Cubase defaults the setting to Tempo-based...

My question is really should I keep that setting or should I be toggling it to time-based because I'm not using Cubase's Tempos anyways!?!?

In other words, what's the functional difference between those two settings in my usage of Cubase?

Hey Bruce,

whatta ya know, I was just thinking about that last night.
Ive been experimenting with N-Track and a md8 to do sorta the same thing. Ive been exporting to N-track from the md8 using mtc on the md8, I was hoping to take vocal edits back onto the md8 to see how that would work. Then all of a sudden Im wondering how I get it back into the md8 synced up. Since mtc is a smpte stripe it should go back and forth, but is the tempo map ignored or overidden by mtc or even worse is the tempo map give you the ability to stretch/shrink the wav and still reinsert back into a mdm? My thoughts are to keep everything time based i.e. 30 frame per second smpte standard because you (me too ) are not using it for tracking.
I hope someone who knows how to do this based on some experience around here. Doesn't Track Rat do this stuff?
Sorry to interject...Now back to your regularly scheduled recording.
:p

SoMm

Back