Multiple time signature changes in a song

johnnyarrow1215

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the music production world and to this forum, firstly I would just like to say I have learnt so much from you all in this forum, so thank you...

As the title suggests I have a problem with time signature/tempo changes in my songs. I'm using Cubase Artist 7 - I generally compose tech metal/djent/progressive stuff, which often has many tempo changes and time sig' changes throughout each song...
My question therefore is...when I playback the full song, how do I get Cubase to recognise each tempo change? For instance, in 1 of my tracks 0:00-1:23 the riff is at 105.00bpm, 1:24-1:50 the riff is at 140.000bpm, then reverts back down to 105.00, then later in the song it goes up to 165.000bpm... (I know these seem quite a draconian change in tempo - just using as a test for now :)

I've not even considered actual time signatures here as they to change (in many of my compositions) but I don't want to complicate myself :)

I guess this post is also asking how would the pro's approach this situation? If you have, say, 3 time signature changes in 1 song, you record them all seperately to a click as normal, but when they are played back, for some reason on mine, either the Superior Drummer track or 1 of the guitars are out of sync with one another and it sounds a mess.

Is there something simple I'm missing? Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Johnny.

You can do both time and tempo changes.

I think it's command (winows key maybe) + T or apple + T on a mac.

Then you just draw in your changes. You can either do a ramp (tempo changes over time) or a jump (tempo changes immediately).

You can draw in additional time signatures.

Guitargodgt - thanks for the reply. I'm at work at mo (working hard as per :) so will try your suggestion out when I get home later.
Been so frustrating as I haven't been able to add a tempo change AND a time signature track to change at the same time, I only managed to do 1 or the other...will let you how I get on later anyway dude.
Thanks again pal.

Sometimes audio or frozen instrument tracks do not respond to changes made in the tempo track. Also make sure your tempo track is activated, otherwise a static tempo will be playback.

Unfortunately windows key and T doesn't do anything...obviously I've done a lot of research on this and people keep referring to things like:
turn on tempo mode (transport panel should say TRACK and not FIXED, though when I change to TRACK all my current tracks - the guitar parts, bass, drums etc. all separate physically and then all goes out of sync...after tempo mode being turned on, go to media - audio pool and select all the files for musical mode and then 'draw in' the tempo changes...I can't seem to be able to to the 'drawing in' part (regarding your explanation and the above explanation), there must be something I'm not doing right?
Presumably the first thing I need to do is actually select a tempo track from the project window? NO1 seems to mention this so I presumed this was a given?
Any further help would be appreciated.

Johnny.

If your guitar, midi etc... are getting botched when you switch from fixed to track then you need to click on the orange note button on each track so it turns to a clock instead.

I'm a mac guy so I know that apple + T is right, but for PC I'm not sure. If you want to just go through the menu it's project/Tempo track.

In the tempo track window use the pencil tool to add time sig changes (just draw in the new one on the same area as the first one you see on the timeline).

To make changes use the pencil tool and draw in the new changes like you would automation data.

Back