moving cubase wav files

alphadelta80

I'm recording a few hip-hop tracks for a local artist in my modest home studio. I'm recording in cubase but I'm not yet comfortable with my mixing skills. The artist is going to take the songs he records here to another studio to be mixed and mastered. The problem is, the other engineer doesn't use Cubase. He only uses Pro Tools.
I also have pro tools on my system but I don't use it (too difficult for me) I was trying to record the song in cubase and somehow export the files to pro tools and burn a CD of the seperate wav files so I can give it to the artist and send him on his way.
Is there a way to export the song from Cubase and open it up in Pro Tools with all the individual track in tact? Also, what happens when the second verse doesn't have the same start point as the rest of the song (punched him in on a new track after first verse was recorded)? Will the exported song open with all tracks starting at the same point?(hope not). Will I have to slide the verses over to where they need to be? Is there a way to insert a blank space (like a place-holder) into a cubase track to maintain the region timing?
All responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank

Do mixdowns of each track soloed. If there's an easier way to do it.. I'm sure someone can help you out. It's just the first thing that came to mind. Make sure you have the effects and such turned off when mixing it down.

I'm using Cubase SX. I guess the idea of soloing each track and exporting them individually will work but, isn't there a quicker way?

Can't you export as an OMF?
I've never used this before but I believe this is the function of OMF.

Edit:

OMF Explained

The OMF format, or OMFI (Open Media Framework Interchange, means the same as OMF), is a file format that can be read by many professional-level audio programs. OMF files contain two basic types of information:

Audio and/or video files, referred to as Media

Information needed to put the Media data in sequence—known as the Composition
The OMF file supplies the following data and information:

Tracks.

Clip positions—an OMF file's EDL edit resolution can be either frame accurate or sample accurate. SONAR can read either, but always writes sample accurate. The clip position is specified in absolute samples.

Slip edits.

Fades and crossfades (as destructive edits)—SONAR renders any fades when it writes OMFs, creating separate clips for any fade-ins or fade-outs. SONAR slip-edits the original clip to make room for the fade-in and fade-out clips. If you export to an audio program that supports slip editing, the user can delete the fade clips and roll out the original clip to return to the original raw audio (without fades) if desired.

Sample rate and audio bit depth.
The OMF file does NOT supply the following data and information:

Volume and pan envelopes—OMF does actually support limited automation. However, as with Nuendo and most other OMF host programs, Gains and Pans are ignored (on both read and write) in SONAR as they are only supported on MONO tracks (OMF limitation).

Plug-in effects.

MIDI data.

Tempo.
Whoever supplies the OMF file that you want to open in SONAR should also send along a text file containing all pertinent information about the project, especially tempo.

So, if this will suit your needs... it seems to be the easiest way.

Last edited:
I could be wrong on this but I think if you use broadcast wave files they will open up in PT on the same timeline as they were in Cubase.

If you already recorded the files in wave then you may have to just back-up the whole project folder onto a CDR and then drag the files into PT and then re-agrrange them. That does kinda suck though.

I've read many posts on the cubase forums of people requesting a 'mass export' with no response. A few people have made macros that sort of accomplish this, but with limitations.

One of the safest ways (but most space consuming) to do this is to set your track markes to the entire length of your song and solo/export each track individually.

This way, every track starts at bar 0, and you can drop them into any DAW that supports wav files.

-Tim

For some reason it doesn't seem to work the other way, cause I went to a studio and them put two adats on pro tools then export as wavs, and you can't open them in cubase, or any other wav program for that matter, all you get it clipping, but you can put them back in pro tools and it's fine. Anything on that?

Back