mixing midi and audio, cubase freezing....

thedude400

When I sequence midi alone everything works great but when I am working with audio and click add midi track, cubase freezes. I have to reboot everytime because the computer is so locked up. What is most likely the root of the problem? Interface, computer, Cubase?

AMD 1400 mhz
1.25g
128 and 256 mb ram

Aardvark Q10
XP SP1 (just clean swiped, cubase and aardvark only running programs)
Cubase SX2

I have almost the same configuration, but more RAM.

What chipset?
Add RAM. I have 768MB and I am starting to hit its limits specially with some Battery2 drumkits. They simply don't load, complaining that I don't have enough RAM would you believe it :)
If I remember correctly, the latest Aardvark driver was 7.16, so try that if yours is older.

Not insinuating anything, but pirate plugins can cause instability issues.

Other than that, I've seen some goofy behavior when I have had Antares Tube loaded on a track or two.

Another reason is computer overheating, and during the summer this totally kills me as I can have the AC running all I want, but my room stays hot (vaulted ceilings, no insulation, scorching sun... apparently not a good mix) :D

Thanks for the help noisewreck. My Cubase is legit, just bought it from a buddy who switched to logic, so it can't be instability from an illegal version. I have some freeware and demo plugins but to the best of my knowledge they are all from legal sites. Here is my motherboard and chipset info. http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Biostar Socket A M7VKQ Motherboard:1990946255

My plans are to first upgrade to the newest 7.16 drivers. Then I'm going to add some ram, and if neither of those fix the problem I'm going to assume it's a chipset issue and swap tower's with my net surfing computer which is 2g, 256 Ram, Pentium 4, 1400 mhz (Not exactly all around better but if it works I can upgrade)

It's frusterating when you gather together all this costly gear and then one little annoying problem occurs that takes you weeks to figure out when all you want to do is get down to recording . :mad: Arrrgghh!

I'm still up for troubleshooting suggestions if anyone has any experience or advice.

Update: I switched towers and now things are working great, whooo! I'm excited. I guess is was the chipset.

Last edited:
Back