midi loops

Newbie dude

How do I make a midi track repeat itself over and over without causing the whole song to repeat the section over and over?

copy and paste the midi event. alternately, you can select the midi event, hold the alt key, and drag and drop the copies. if your midi event wasn't recorded to a metronome or isn't in strict time, you will have to play around with the event length.

i have seen some midi looping plugins around but i can't remember where off the top of my head. check kvraudio.com

darn. I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Se, my midi recordings on't stop exactly after the last note, and I can't trim it down and paste down to a science, so theres always odd overlaps or gaps.

Newbie dude said:
darn. I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Se, my midi recordings on't stop exactly after the last note, and I can't trim it down and paste down to a science, so theres always odd overlaps or gaps.

Science? What is that? :confused:

.....I just opened the project with that loop........and now its over 5 minutes and fifteen seconds long.....and it's alll one track[ well, actually three, but you get what I mean], perfectly smoothe....

I think i've been visited by the home recording fairy....

Newbie dude said:
.....I just opened the project with that loop........and now its over 5 minutes and fifteen seconds long.....and it's alll one track[ well, actually three, but you get what I mean], perfectly smoothe....

I think i've been visited by the home recording fairy....

You mightnt always get so lucky; its almost impossible to run continuous loops without having synched to a metronome. I didnt like it at first, but getting into the habit of strumming along to a metronome is a life-saver when you're trying to use drum loops especially.

oh, when i recorded it, i used a metronome. And I quantized it. The rhythym was perfect. But I only recorded it for abourt ten seconds. I couldn't cut and paste that 10 seconds over and over to the point where the transition from one ten second piece to the next was smoothe.

set the timeline for bars and beats (right click it and select from the popup). turn on snap, set snap mode to grid, set grid selector to bar or beat.

You could have a go at the 'play order track' if you're using SX3 or higher. A safe, handy little tool for looping things without editing or screwing up your project.

Back