midi edit

if you want to enter midi with a mouse you have to be in an event. otherwise you get white midi notes that dont sound.
One way I saw to get a new event block is to highlight a few new bars... but when you double click to open the editor
your new block disappears.how do you get a new event block that stays and can be edited...or have midi notes placed
in it by hand?
one way is to double the previous block and then delete all the notes and enter your own new ones... but I am sure there is a better way..

you have to use the Draw tool to create a box across however many measures you want. Then use the Select tool to double click on the new box to open it in the editor. Then use the Draw tool again to create your notes. To me it's very cumbersome, but I understand it has to easy enough for us beginners yet capable enough for advanced users.

you have to use the Draw tool to create a box across however many measures you want. Then use the Select tool to double click on the new box to open it in the editor. Then use the Draw tool again to create your notes. To me it's very cumbersome, but I understand it has to easy enough for us beginners yet capable enough for advanced users.

I will try that...thx
btw I am surprised that sometimes it seems that my dual core i7 mac is not quite husky enough for some DAW
activities. I can see how a 4 core is really preferred. I have 8g ram but I would also get 16 if I was to upgrade.
And my projects are very basic.

I'm not a fan of Macs at all. I like my iphone, though. Does that count? Oh, but I hate iTunes. Don't even use it anymore. Amazon for me.

What midi parts are you writing by hand? That seems very tedious.

Midi tracks on Cubase are tiny, tiny specks on the machine resources. You seem to have got very confused here and entering notes in Cubase can be done in step time - probably the most old fashioned 80's method, or you just draw them on the edit screen - but you have to do a few things first.

Start with creating a new MIDI track. Set the markers to however many bars you work with comfortably - so maybe 8,16,24 - something like that. With the cursor, double click on the empty space next to your new bidding track - below bar 1, and an empty midi track appears the length of the section you picked - so let's say 20 bars long. Double click it and the editor appears. Up at the top to the right you will see the quantise box and it will probably say 1/1. If you right click to select the pen tool, then a note you enter will snap to the nearest bar line and put in a note lasting the entire bar. Change 1/1 to ¼, and it will put in quarter (crotchet) notes. With the snap button off, the notes can be placed anywhere, and with it on, only at bar divisions you set in the Q window.

Sound wise - I assume you've fathomed out how to make sounds play?

You can drag left and right in time and up and down in pitch, but one handy feature is the key to the left of the space bar - if you hold it down, then drag a note, then you can copy, not move notes. You can use this with groups of notes too - so if you want to repeat 8 notes, highlight them, then press that key and create another 8 notes.

Copy and paste, dragging and manipulating the notes is a primary thing to sort out - and it can become very quick. If you are creating a bass part that goes dum-de dum, then do one bar, copy it over and over again, then when it needs to change notes, go back and move them. This I think is why step entry - a system where notes are automatically put in one after another automatically at the Q setting tended to fall out of use. Don't forget mouse entry puts every note at the same midi velocity so while great for dance and 80s music, it sounds horrible on real instruments. Below the editor you can see the velocity of each note, you can edit those with the mouse too. It will kill you, but you can.

If you put in all ¼ notes, then again with the mouse pointer, you can make them longer and shorter - this works on one note, or groups of notes. Does that move you forward?

I dont feel very confused in Cube anymore.I put in an hour a day and I am just getting faster at things. It takes awhile. I am entering data manually only to practice routines and train my brain on keys etc. Getting faster. thats the name of the game in DAWs.
I was originally trying to extend a midi track that already existed and I got those white notes that dont sound. It was because I had not created an event to put them in. Now I see there are 3-4 different ways to do it.

If you already have the track, in the project window, just drag it from the end, and it extends - just left click and drag - it just goes as far as you need.

Back