MIDI drums into separate audio tracks?

akpcep

Hi guys.

I've recently bought a Roland TD3-K electronic kit (which is ace), and I've been recording my drums using MIDI into Cubase and getting cubase to play the drum module back again. Then at some point I send the audio outs of the TD3 back into my sound interface and record a new track of the audio from the TD3 as played back by Cubase (hope that makes sense).

I'm trying to think of an easy way to record the audio as separate tracks - eg, kick on one track, snare on another etc. as this would obviously give me more control over the individual drums while mixing. The only way I can think of at the moment is to repeat the above process 8 times, muting or turning down the drums that I don't need, but I get the feeling there should be an easier way? Like selecting just one MIDI "instrument" in the drum map or something before converting it to audio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

are the different pieces on ur kit assigned to different midi chanels? if they are u should be able to record 8 midi tracks at once recording chanel 1-8 instead of all midi inputs. and i dont get what u mean by ur conversion to audio, u should be able to set midi out as emulated sound modual of ur kit. hope some of that is somewhat useful, sorry if its all completly wrong ;)

Hi dude,

I don't think I can assign different drum instruments to different midi channels, it just spits them all out on the one channel, using different note values I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by emulated sound module! I'm kind of winging it and I found that playing the mix back, using MIDI to play the module, while recording the audio output was the most obvious way to convert the midi track into an audio one...

In the Drum Editor, there is an "M" column. You can mute a specific drum, by clicking in that column (which places a dot) for the particular drum. Alternately, you can solo a specific drum. Just click on its name or on one of the hits, then if you look in the upper left corner of the drum editor, you'll see a button with a drumstick. That solos the highlighted drumline.

Back