How to line up overheads with new edited drums? Cubase version of flextime?

MattLaBonte

So I edited drums for one of my bands songs for six hours. Turned out amazing! samples are perfect, no double triggers etc. basically the drummer was awesome to the click but not perfect. Problem is that overheads pick up the drum sounds as well as cymbals. Once I edited the drums the overheads that picked up the drums live cause almost a double triggering effect. how would I go about fixing this to line up perfectly again? Also is there anyway to decrease the drum noise in an overhead and increase the cymbal? Thanks!

The first lesson in drum editing is:

ALWAYS editing everything together.

What that means:

If you move a kick, you must move all of your drum tracks (grouped together) together with that kick.

you might get away with hitting undo over and over...

If not, you could open a new blank session and import the wavs, in the hope that they haven't been destructively edited.

RE: removing other drums from overheads, i don't always like this, but you cant just use a steep high pass filter to pretty much remove everything but hi hats and cymbals.

None of your edits are going to have been destructive unless you exported audio and opened a new project. I assume you may have already saved over the file with the edits so undo won't work for ya. In what way did you edit the drum tracks? Manually by slip editing? Or by quantizing? And what version of Cubase do you have? You will probably just need to manually/visually line up the overheads with the edited parts. Make sure to put both overheads in a folder so you at least don't have to do it twice! Learning has just happened for you in a time consuming way.......Bummer!

So basically I did this for three songs which completely blows. And it's just for my bands demos so it's not a huge problem. The way I edited was the slip editing method for
The drums. I just didn't even think about the cymbals haha. So basically I have 3 choices. Retrack just the cymbals. Use cymbal samples that I have or do the hard but better method of editing each cymbal to line up. Problem though that I don't understand. If the drummer plays a fill decent but pretty crappy and I edit the drums so it's perfect and the cymbals line up the drums still will come through on the overheads and not line up with my edited drums.

Re tracking cymbals might work, though typically, a big part of the overall drum sound is base in the overheads. Snare and toms anyway. Depending on the style of your music and what you are looking for, this may or may not work so well. I think you may be best served by paying the price and learning by at least attempting to duplicate your edits on the OH tracks. You may get away with somewhat imperfect lining up of tracks. I would say ha ha, but that would just be rude. I am doing it behind your back now. lol!

Is there a way to seperate each transient on the cymbals so I know what to work with because the cymbals arent diffucult usually just quarter or 8th notes with maybe 16th note bells thrown in.

I would look for lining up of the snare and toms that are in the overheads with the edited tracks. They are the drums that are sounding 'doubled'. I am just assuming from your previous post about why you have the issue.

Did you bounce or export the edits? Do you still see the 'cuts' in the edited tracks? If so just slice the overheads in the same places, and slip the OH's to match.

Yeah I still have the cuts so I will try and line up as best as possible. Once Im completely finished with editing the drums what would I do? Very new to this as I used to use midi. Thanks!

Well, after crossfade on all edits, I would make damn sure you got it right before saving as. Then bouncing the tracks. Then make sure you got it right before saving again. Then get really drunk in celebration. Then don't make that mistake ever again! :D

Oh I know man. I'm going through the cymbals right now just comparing each edit on the drums to the cymbals and sliping it and crossfades, Sounds PERFECT like nothing was ever wrong. Thanks so much!

Yeah, something seems funny. I will listen in morning. You could send the project folder and I could see if I can figure something out for ya. I'll PM you my email.

Back