How to Change Midi Tuning to 432 Hz?

muddyleopard

Hi

I want to change my midi files settings from A - 440 Hz to A - 432 Hz (i.e. pre-1939 tuning) ... does anyone know how to adjust the midi properties in cubase so that my midi tuning would be adjusted ... ideally by default for all recordings. but also for the tracks I have?

Many thanks

Muddy

midi is 1's and 0's, it does not have a 'hertz'

you may be able to change the tuning in the sound generator you are using.
You will have to look at whatever that is.

I want to show you how to convert music to 432hz

Here (432hz.website/3-ways-to-convert-music-from-440hz-to-432hz/) you can see how to convert music to 432hz through Audacity :guitar:

As the others have said. MIDI itself has no tuning. You'd need to modify the Instrument (or Virtual Instrument) itself. However the settings to change this would be up to the Instrument or Virtual Instrument itself. Is there a specific reason you're going against the "norm" of the past 100-200 years? It shouldn't be because you've "heard" that 432hz is more in tune with nature... as it's just snake oil.

some thoughts:

1 what the others have said . . . it's the tuning of the instrument (or virtual) instrument that needs to be changed.

2 Tuning pre-1939 was not exclusively 432Hz. Throughout the history of music and across the world there has been an extraordinary variety of 'standard' tunings.

3 Your mention of 1939 suggests that you've heard of (or may even subscribe to) the notion that the nazis changed standard pitch from 432hz to 440hz.

4 Here is an insightful look into 432hz tuning:

MiltonlineHertz So Good? 432Hz Examined. |

If you want to do such a daft thing then in Cubase, what I use you would either (as has been said) HO into the Vsti or sound module and change the tuning there, or render out the sound as audio and apply the pitch change there. On some sounds you can also assign the pitch bend controller to a smaller value but then keeping it there is difficult with controller resets. I guarantee that you will not be able to tell two takes of different tuning this small. All amazing hyperbole with a teensy bit of supporting evidence that ignores the fact that historic tuning never really had a standard tuning between even close together locations. Church organs were often tuned by pipes from another and would cause a gradual drift in tuning as each retuning introduced cumulative errors. Micro tuning on A would be way way more than a single digit shift! The idea they had a standard that they could actually measure is flawed to start with!

Help for 432 tuning on midi keyboard.
Hi, I use a volca keys w a crappy alesis midi keyboard.
My question is: if I stuck the keyboard pitch wheel where I get the A 432 does the sound remain the same? Does it could damage the volca?
Best
E

If your Volca is plugged into a 110v outlet, it could cause a metaphasic shift in its VCO thereby creating a rift in the fabric of space since 432hz is not a perfect multiple of 110.

Other than that, I see no way that you could damage the Volca, as it is just a set of voltage controlled oscillators. The whole point of a VCO is that you change oscillating frequency by changing voltage. There is nothing magical about 432 vs 440.

If you have software with a list editor, you can enter a controller message to detune to whatever silly origin you want. You can easily do it. It sounds like it will keep you happy, but you are aware that music has NEVER had an accurate standard aren't you? Most church organs used a tuning pipe, carried from church to church but of course this meant no real standard - and I doubt that outside the conservatoires, nobody knew exactly how many cycles per second A was at all for hundreds of years. At the time of the second world war, technology allowed measurements, and this was when people 8 cycles difference crept in - because it 'could' not because people could hear it.

Back