Horribly distorted sound to guitar when adding second track

Ascetic_Axe

So I just got a Focusrite 2i2 and set it up with Cubase 5(yes, an old one). I'm also running BIAS FX for the guitar, and everything is fine until I add a second track. With just one track, the sound comes out fine, but once the second track is added and BIAS FX assigned to the insert, the sound has horrible distortion bordering on white noise. I set it up the same way as my friend, who has no problem at all(different AI though). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Something isn't set right but a lot more detailed info is needed to help, sorry.

What I can say is when I open a new project and add a track and insert BIAS FX, everything is fine. Then all I do is add an additional track and the problem happens, even without any plugin inserted, just a bare track, and the sound is very distorted almost like an excessive delay mixed with white noise when I strike a note. I would be more than happy to provide any more information, I just don't know what to provide. This is my first time home recording so everything is quite new to me. I will for sure look up any details that anyone suggests.

I haven't used Cubase in years, so hopefully someone will chime in. To start with is the first track and new track set to the same input on the 2i2? Is there a way to set the already done track to "No input"? What sort of buffer settings are you working at? How is the interface connected? 2i2's are notorious for noise from the USB bus at low buffer settings, going into USB 3 instead of two, low power from the USB bus due to multiple USB inputs connected or connected to unpowered hub, and intermittent driver issues which necessitate reloading the drivers. What system, OS version, drivers are you using? Mac's sometimes need tweaks to core audio settings to get everything working right.

Yes, give as much info as you can about your computer setup and how you have interface connected/setup/software/etc...

No need for a bunch of 'if I, could have, wish you, What if.' Not until we even know your specs...

Best. :)

Thanks for the help guys. So I'm on a PC running Win10 64-bit on an i7 6400, 16GB RAM, connected through USB 3. Sample rate is 44.1 kHz with a buffer size of 128. As for whether the tracks are set to the same input, I believe so. I set up the VST connections the same way as a friend of mine, who has no problems, albeit with a different AI. The Cubase version I am running is 32-bit, as is the BIAS FX I bought. I'm also using the headphones input for the speaker connection, which I know is technically wrong but is the only way I could hear myself play in the DAW.

Last edited:
I'd say: get yourself a decent interface and switch to 64-bit. With 32-bit Cubase your 16GB RAM is totally useless, it can only handle 3GB now in 32-bit Cubase.
So buy a Steinberg UR interface and upgrade to Cubase 9.5 and your problems will be solved!

I'd say: get yourself a decent interface and switch to 64-bit. With 32-bit Cubase your 16GB RAM is totally useless, it can only handle 3GB now in 32-bit Cubase.
So buy a Steinberg UR interface and upgrade to Cubase 9.5 and your problems will be solved!

Yeah, you gonna have to spend some upgrade money if you want to record music with Cubase man...

Or just go with Reaper. I hate giving that suggestion....

IIRC Bias is an absolute CPU hog so the most likely issue is CPU headroom when you add another track (running 2 instances of Bias at once).

Best you can do is freeze the first one before adding the second. There is a snowflake icon on the track, hit that.

Also: OP, there is no sense in running the 32bit version of 5 when a 64bit version of 5 exists.

Also: OP, there is nothing wrong with the interface you purchased. Spending more money on something else is not necessary.

Article Details | Steinberg

Also: OP, there is nothing wrong with the interface you purchased. Spending more money on something else is not

I agree with this. Nothing at all the matter with the focusrite. Also i agree with [MENTION=119721]jimmy69[/MENTION] on getting Reaper. It's a good all purpose daw, with loads of tech backup.
:D

Back