HELP - Sync to SMPTE

earthmuse

I don't have much equipment - just Cubase 32/VST, my computer and a Korg M1.

A friend wants me to write some music for a short 2.5 minute video of his.

What should he send me (something with time code burned in - but on what medium), and how can I sync some music to SMPTE?

I know this is probably a really basic question - but I don't get it - yet.

your friend will need to give you a tape, probably VHS, with dialogue on the Left side, and SMPTE on the right.
make sure your frame rates are correct or you'll have problems.

You didn't mention what type of MIDI interface you're using. If it's just the joystick port on a sound card and a "special" cable, that won't cut it. You'll need a more involved MIDI interface that has SMPTE capabilities. You will then feed the SMPTE code from the videotape into the SMPTE connector on the MIDI interface while playing back the VCR, watching the video, and playing the parts you want to record. When you're ready to mix down, you still need to sync to the SMPTE code off the Video tape while dubbing your finished audio to the VCR. Oh, I forgot to mention you'd need a VCR that allows audio dubbing and multiple audio tracks. Or, you could get a Video capture card and record the video AND SMPTE into your computer simultaneously, with a program such as Vegas Video - This would take either an analog or firewire capture card, or possible one of the fancier AGP cards such as the Matrox, that come with capture capabilities, etc - 'course, you'd STILL need the SMPTE capable MIDI interface...

Just in case you thought I knew what I was talking about, I don't - at least, not yet. I bought 4-5 books on the subject because I'm in the middle of a MAJOR upgrade to my studio (stereo to 5.1, audio for video, digital mixer + DAW + multitrack analog + analog mixer, 4 floated rooms with correct acoustics, separate computers for DAW and softsynths, etc) Anyway, what you want to do is not a simple task, and as near as I can tell, nobody who makes the stuff you need will tell you the truth about its REAL capabilities unless you have their left nut contained in a pair of Vice Grips and are tightening the little knurled knob with an evil grin on your face - sorta like the guys who sell digital audio stuff, huh?

For capture cards, check out

http://www.dazzle.com/main.html

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/start_new.asp

http://www.canopuscorp.com/

Watch all of these guys and dig into their FAQ's - some cards won't support win2k, some will but not XP, there are all kinds of "yeah but's" . You can't learn too much BEFORE you buy. I've got a long way to go on this before I buy also -

If you're short on cash, you might be better off finding a junior college with a good media center and taking a course, just so you can use their gear for your friend's project. The knowledge you pick up wouldn't hurt either... Steve

sync to SMPTE

sorry i haven't gotten to this earler - but THANKS for all the info!

i'm just using a midisport 2x2 USB midi interface - it may not be likely that i can accomplish what i need to with it - but will check with the manufacturer anyway.

i'll keep checking it out, and appreciate your comments - even if you're honest enough to say you're not quite there yet either in getting the whole deal right (I appreciate that immensely!)

May stop by my local store too - and will try to remember to bring my vice grips with me . . .

thanks again

earthmuse

If your friend can digitize the video, you can directly import an AVI, or QuickTime file that will have timecode imbedded.

;)

I picked up a sony mavica which is a digital camera that does short videos. With it came a program called MGI video wave lll. With it I can edit a film clip with audio. It's pretty simple.

Are you just doing theme music or are you doing background music, sound effects, dialog, foley, etc?

What platform and format is his film? If he's using an Avid or Premiere or someother computer based system, you don't need to worry about smpte at all. Just have him render an avi or quicktime movie for you. Most online editing systems will take .wav files or at least .aiff files.

You can also get by without SMPTE if you're only doing music. All you need is a copy of the video for "inspirational" and timing purposes. Then let the director/producer/editor drop the music where he wants.

I did an indie film on a Tascam 424 MKII once. Music, dialog, fx, etc. pain in the ass, but it worked.

Back