help with sounding VST's via midi controller

dlindsay

Hey! This has probably been covered to some extent, but I am hard headed and lazy, so bear with me!

I have Cubase SX3, pc based. I am using an EMU-1820m interface. I have a "generic" cheapy midi controller with only a midi out. (it is an MK something or other).
When I set up a midi track I can not get my VST to sound while using my controller.
I see there is midi activity when I press a key.
I have "all midi devices" set as input and "any" channel. I have the output set as the VST. I have "midi-thru" activated. I have "record enabled".
What am I not doing right?
When I click on the virtual device, say a synth, I get a sound... it is just that my external midi controller will not trigger the sound.
I will greatly appreciate any advice offered!
Thanks,
Don Lindsay
dlindsay@pineland.net

cubase, vst, midi controller

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, as I mentioned I set my input to "any" channel. That way it does not matter what channel the keyboard is transmitting, right?
It is also the only midi device that I have connected. It is connected to the front midi conection on my 1820m breakout box.
Don

dlindsay said:
Hey! This has probably been covered to some extent, but I am hard headed and lazy, so bear with me!
Well, since you put it that way...

dlindsay said:
I have "all midi devices" set as input and "any" channel.
Sounds like your laziness is biting you in the ass :D Set the channel to the proper channel, and make sure your VSTi is also set to receive on that channel (usually setting the cubase MIDI channel to 1 is a good choice, as most synths are either set to omni or default to 1). And instead of having "all midi devices" select the correct one. Cubase doesn't like it when people are being sloppy with it.

dont forget to turn on the monitor on the track,you know ,the (speaker picture) button in thet rack view

well what i always found helped me is getting really angry and start yelling at your computer screen...not even the actual computer, but the screen, as if it did something to you...then come back to it 20 minutse later and give it a kiss for being mean

lol sorry, no food...makes u crazy and all hyper

then u might want to see if your midi controller is actually working or not, or maybe the midi wire might be damaged?

it ain't working

Thanks to everyone for their input!
I still can't get any midi signal to the track I want to record to.
I have carefully followed all of the advice and directions I could get my hands on.
From what I can tell... my midi controller is working... as I can get it to sound using my Boss Dr-5 as a sound module.
Could my problem have to do with the way the controller is set up in Cubase? I just have it listed as a GM device.
Remember, my 1820m breakout box shows midi activity when the controller is connected... also when I press a key on the keyboard the midi input meter indicates activity in Cubase... BUT I get NO midi activity on the midi track itself.
The track input is set as EMU midi input 1 and the output is set as the soft synth or whatever I want to sound. I have matched the midi channels between controller and track. I have differentiated between the actual midi ports and the emulated ones.
Under my Windows xp control panel I have the proper hardware chosen.
If I needed to call for support, should I call EMU or Cubase?
Thanks again,

Don

Back