groups

about group channels and fx... if you use a group channel and you send a couple of tracks to it for some reverb and delay...it doesnt matter if the fx are put in the insert side,left or the sends side ,right...?? no?? or if so why..
thanx

I guess that depends on what you are using the group channel for.

You can Send (right side) from any individual track or group to an FX channel.

Typically the reason you want a group channel is to effect multiple tracks in the same way. You would Insert (left side) say a compressor or eq on a group track so that the inserted fx work on all tracks. You would not necessarily Send to a compressor.

You can also use a Group track to allow more than the 4 insert limit of LE version of Cubase.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
so....you might be better to do FX channel if you want to adjust fx for every track you SEND there...but otherwise you could do a group channel to fx all the tracks the same....? I see why this confuses some people... like me..

as far as saving cpu would one tend to be more efficient than the other....?saving cpu is an issue for some of us with 2 core...

It really depends on the plug in. Reverbs tend to be resource hogs, so typically best to use them as an FX track. Also it is typical (but not always) to use a reverb to place instruments in the same 'space' - so to speak.

Things like eq and compression, generally do not eat up near as much resources and are used more specifically to individual instruments. So better as an insert on individual tracks or multiple tracks in a group.

Also remember that you can disable resource heavy plug-ins while tracking with lower buffer to keep your latency down. Then fire them up and raise your buffer so your PC doesn't choke.

Typically, you would not send tracks to a group just to add reverb. As stated above, set your reverb up as an fx track, and use sends to add reverb. All tracks can have the same amount of verb, or you can vary each track. It's also the least cpu intensive way to use a reverb.

Back