Direct Monitoring

TelePaul

J to the R O C
Hey guys, i want to direct monitor most of the stuff I record. I can do it on my soundcard - It has a 'Direct Monitor' switch - but as soon as I start to record, the golden monitor symbol on the track in Cubase SE3 turns on. Any thoughts?

Oh okay...thanks for getting back to me, I had trouble phrasing this question. Shouldn't I be able to tell my soundcard to bypass monitoring in Cubase?

TelePaul said:
Oh okay...thanks for getting back to me, I had trouble phrasing this question. Shouldn't I be able to tell my soundcard to bypass monitoring in Cubase?

yes, by turning off monitoring for the track via the monitoring button. your sound card probably has it's own monitor mixer.

TravisinFlorida said:
yes, by turning off monitoring for the track via the monitoring button. your sound card probably has it's own monitor mixer.

Hey Travis, that's cool, but when I do that and press record, the button comes on automatically. Do I have to disable it first?

my bad tele. i haven't used direct monitoring in a while. it's done thru your sound card's mixer software. when you enable direct monitoring in cubase it just mutes the incoming signal. while direct monitoring, no input signals will be heard thru cubase but will be recorded. the track monitor button doesn't function when direct monitoring is enabled (imo, the track monitor button should become unavailable when direct monitoring is enabled).

my sound card has a monitor mixer. i have to choose between wave out and monitor mixer out to feed my sound card's outputs. for direct monitoring, monitor mixer must be chosen. there's a mixer to control each inputs monitoring volume and pan. your sound card should have something similar.

Sorry to resurrect this but I'm still having some trouble. When I swith direct monitoring OFF on my soundcard there's some latency, but Ihear any reverb etc I've added to the track. When I turn it ON I still hear the effects. I'm pretty confused. The Direct Monitor volume control on my soundcard is on full but I'm still hearing it in Cubase...that stupid golden monitor button is on!! :mad:

Okay I sorted it...should use Tape Machine monitoring I think. Otherwise it automatically monitors whilst I record.

TelePaul said:
Okay I sorted it...should use Tape Machine monitoring I think. Otherwise it automatically monitors whilst I record.

Auto tape style just means that track monitoring is turned on when the track is armed for recording.

TravisinFlorida said:
Auto tape style just means that track monitoring is turned on when the track is armed for recording.

Oh but I can turn it off as I see fit right? Thatw a sthe problme I was having; I couldn't turn off track monitoring when I pressed record and thus couldn't hear the signal as it was going in. Which is what I want seeing as my ouput latency is 21 ms.

TelePaul said:
Oh but I can turn it off as I see fit right? Thatw a sthe problme I was having; I couldn't turn off track monitoring when I pressed record and thus couldn't hear the signal as it was going in. Which is what I want seeing as my ouput latency is 21 ms.

damn. 21 ms is pretty long. you can turn off monitoring whether the track is armed or not by using the monitor button on each track.

auto tape style is just a time saver. arm the track and monitoring is automatically turned on. disarm the track and monitoring is automatically turned off.

TelePaul said:

damn. 21 ms is pretty long. you use a usb interface don't you? you can turn off monitoring whether the track is armed or not by using the monitor button on each track.

auto tape style is just a time saver. arm the track and monitoring is automatically turned on. disarm the track and monitoring is automatically turned off.

TravisinFlorida said:
damn. 21 ms is pretty long. you use a usb interface don't you? you can turn off monitoring whether the track is armed or not by using the monitor button on each track.

Yeah, USB interface with a pretty old computah. Thanks for the help on this one Travis, I've realised alot of the problems I've run into with sound recording are usually solved by tickin/unticking a box.

Back