Cubase not recording audio, Pls Help..!

DeafDealer

Hey, new to the forum and desperatley need help..! Here is my problem. Hope someone can make sense of this.

Have recently had all my data and applications transfered from my old 2011 pro macbook to a refurbished 2012 macbook pro. I am able to open my old cubase LE 5 sessions on the new macbook, but unable to record. When I mic my amp and play through it the VU meter on the IO2 lights up as it should, however in cubase the VU meter on the screen remains constantly peaked - and when I hit record no wavform shows up - only a flat line. Then when I play it back it is just white noise. I have of course made sure that the inputs and outputs are through the IO2 and checked the VST connections, but that is about as much as I know how to do. Also have switched to IO2 in the macbook audio settings, though for some reason when I close the settings and then reopen them it does not show it being set to the IO2, though I just have.....

A coworker who's an engineer (but unfamiliar with cubase) thought it could be some digital routing or latency issue maybe..? Everything is set to 16 / 44.1.... anybody have any ideas, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Leo

Yes, but the meters on the IO2 do respond to the signal going into it, it is the meters within cubase that are staying peaked. Also I can hear the guitar signal out of the headphone jack of the IO2 when I play, but it is not being recorded to cubase - only white noise.

When I first tried to open the program on the new computer it prompted me to install new drivers before being able to run the program (at least I believe it was the drivers it was asking me to update). So it did some auto update and now I have this problem.. any way to diagnose or tell if there is a certain thing to update or...? Am a bit out of my depths here..

It's probable that you just don't have the correct driver. Download the drivers from the manufactures site and see what happens.

I bet it is the Cubase eLicenser you need to update.

LINK

If not that, then the IO2 drivers need to be downloaded from their website.

Does the Mac use drivers for USB interfaces?? I don't think so, therefore no drivers to update. Possibly a hardware problem with the new mac. What have you done to eliminate hardware issues?

Different USB port?
Cable?
Different Interface? (borrow from a friend or store)
Play iTunes through the interface?
Unplug the mac from its power supply and run on the battery. Some macs are known to have power issues with the USB bus.

I cannot find a mac io2 driver, only windows. Also many people are saying that the io2 is 'class compliant' and thay it doesn't need any special drivers, so am a bit confused. Have tried different USB ports and with the mac charging vs not charging, it makes no difference. Could it be the elicensing? I thought that had updated when I first ran cubase on the new mac. Again, the mic levels read on the io2 meters, but in cubase the meters are cobstantly peaked and playback results in white noise. Even over previous sessions. No sound is recorded when I record, but the sound is registering through both the io2 meters and the headphones. No white noise until it is played back.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling cubase.
Do you have your old mac available? If so, try it there.
Take your new mac to the music store and try a different interface.

Macs do not need ASIO drivers.

Maybe some screenshots of the VST Connections page, Device panel and track editor.

No, this has nothing to do with the eLicenser, which would prevent Cubase from starting if the licence was not present or could not be read.
Whether it uses an OS driver or a third-party driver is unimportant, so long as the driver is an ASIO driver.
You need to open Cubase, select Studio->Studio Setup->VST Audio System.
Check that the driver selected is the correct one for the io2 and is an ASIO driver.
Can you play back audio normally from a Cubase track through the io2?
Make sure that you have the input bus setup correctly for the mic in the Studio->Audio Connections menu.

I don't see any "Studio->Studio Setup->VST Audio System." in my version of cubase. But Here are some screen shots if they are of any help. Again, when I close the mac system preferences sound tab and then reopen it - it defaults to system audio even though I have previously selected IO2. Still, when leaving the system audio open and selected to the IO2 nothing changes..

---------- Update ----------

OK, It wouldn't let me post links to the screenshots since I am a relative new member.... maybe now..?

Last edited:
Looks like an older version of Cubase LE. There is a big difference between this and C9.5, so the menus and settings are different.
However the settings shown look correct. They should be present when you restart unless the device (IO2) is not ready or plugged in when Cubase starts, then it will select the first audio device it can find.
I also use a PC, as I find Macs very annoying to use, so I can't help you with the OS settings. Are there any settings related to USB port power down or inactivity sleeping? These will cause problems with your device and Cubase.

Yeah, those settings look correct. Though I also have no Mac experience. That would work in Windows.

There must be some driver conflict going on. Or something... I just don't know how to help man. Sorry.

Best

grasping at straws here. One by one, disable every single plug you got going. Maybe one of them is not working on the new machine. I had issues going from Windows 32 bit to 64 bit.

Ok, I think I am on the right track. Called up steinberg and they were able to narrow it down for me. I've contacted alesis as it seems that the problem lies within the IO2's ability ro communicate with cubase. But theybwill call me back, hopefully at a time when I can be infront of my set up.. I am hoping they can direct me to updated mac drivers since I could not easily find any online. If someone knows where I might find them please let me know. Have only found windows drivers in my search...

If Cubase runs, the forget the elicensing - if you have a problem with this, it won't run at all.

When you go to audio connections, if you have no interface plugged in, then it will show "built in audio", but if you have an external interface powered up, plugged in and installed properly, then it will be an option here. This also appears in studio setup, where the system shows you what interface it is using and lets you set a few parameters, and see latency figures.

Tell us what you see in these sections.

Yes, the problem is most definitely with the IO2's communication to the version of Cubase LE 5 I am running. Fortunately, I was able to install the newest version of Cubase LE 9.5 and now everything run's fine with the IO2 and am able to record. The old sessions work as well. But still, am curious why the old version does not run.. Maybe when I updated the elicensing to my new computer it threw off something with the IO2 since that version is pretty old... Of course am more used to the layout of the old version but I guess I should just get used to the new one probably...

If there is something wrong on your computer to record the audio, you can try FoneLab screen recorder to record audio on computer.
It helps you to record screen, audio, webcam, take screenshot on windows or mac and more you like.

Back