cubase newbie needs help "trimming" in sample editor

extendedping

Hi all I am working my way throught the Ignite Cubase SX 3 book and am trying to work through chapter 6 audio editing. I am at the section beginning on p79 from trimming where it tells me to double click the event, and in the sample editor click on the "event start marker" and drag it to the beginning of where the wavelength starts in order to eliminate noise at the beginning of the bar where the (drum) track starts. So I assume what this is saying is that during playback this is where the audio should start. First I don't see anything called the "event start marker" so I simply click in the editor where I see the wavelength begin and a line is put from top to bottom through the editor at that point. well the tutorial file I am working with has the wave so close to the start of the event that I figured I would not hear the difference so I went back and double clicked on the drum audio event opening the editor. I then clicked several seconds in (much further in the event) in order to get the same line I just described. I then go back to the project window and play the track and the drums start just where they did originally. so..am I missing the puropse of the tutorial? am I not finding the "event start marker"? my thought was trimming would mean whereever that line was in the editor, that is where playback would begin...BTW I have SL 3. thanks I am certain I am missing something simple. At least I hope that is it :)

Hmm I am also looking at a dvd I have for learning cubase and they show something similar...a drum event where the sound doesnt begin exactly at the beginning of the event..the event is clicked and I see it says in the upper left corner of the editor "event start marker" which I don't see in my cubase. Also they then drag a little "s" that they call the snap point to the beginning of the soundwave in the event. I don't see this "s" in my SL cubase when I open the editor...what am I missing here? thanks.

I dont understand why you dont see it, I just opened up my copy of SL3 on my other machine and it was there, I double checked on this machine SX3 and it is also there, are you sure you have the window scrolled all the way to the left?

Carter said:
I dont understand why you dont see it, I just opened up my copy of SL3 on my other machine and it was there, I double checked on this machine SX3 and it is also there, are you sure you have the window scrolled all the way to the left?

yes I am pretty sure. In the project window the audio evet starts at bar 3 and thats where what it says to the left in the editor. the editor slider on the bottom is pulled all the way to the left on the screen. I am totally sure of it.

extendedping said:
yes I am pretty sure. In the project window the audio evet starts at bar 3 and thats where what it says to the left in the editor. the editor slider on the bottom is pulled all the way to the left on the screen. I am totally sure of it.

well I figured it out. there is an icon in the editor called show audio event that was not checked. I am pretty sure I had not unchecked it so don't know why it was like that but upon checking it I now have my "s" to drag...thanks and I am sure there will me more "newbie" questions coming soon :)

ok I guess I am a real dummie. I now move the snap point several bars or several seconds in the event. I then go back to the main project window and play the track and the drums start right at the start of the event as opposed to where I put the snap point in in the editor...am I not understanding what trimming is?

Back