Cubase+midi controller+RME FF800=yamaha motif midi buffer full

ibanezwiz

Okay... excuse the lame title, but what is basically going on is when record and monitor is activated on the midi track and i play a note on the keyboard (controller), the motif recieves what seems hundreds of midi signals for the key i press and I get a midi buffer full message on the motif.
For my connections, I followed the diagrams in a few manuals... from the midi controller (Roland A-37) I have the midi in/out going to the FireFace 800 midi in/out respectively. I also have the midi thru of the Roland going to the midi in of the Yamaha Motif (the audio out of the motif is working just fine). I attached a screen shot of Cubase as its messing up... you can see a midi message is being sent and recieved, but those meters are going crazy and its nothing but horrible noise being made. For the midi track, I have the input as "fireface 800 midi" and Ive also tried "all midi"... the output of the track is "motif rack-fireface 800 midi". Ive tried a few combinations, with no luck. And if tried deactivating and activating midi-thru in the preferences menu. It seems obvious a loop has been created somewhere, but I cant figure out how to fix it. Id like to have the keyboard setup with midi going into it so I can control/edit the CC's... or assign buttons/controls thru cubase.
I am not new with Cubase at all, however I am new using midi-controllers. Please correct me if I am wrong with any steps, routing, facts/assumptions, or connections... and Id greatly appreciate any help offered.
Thanks everyone-Dave

Attachments

• c5midi.jpg
    c5midi.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 19
you said:

"from the midi controller (Roland A-37) I have the midi in/out going to the FireFace 800 midi in/out respectively. I also have the midi thru of the Roland going to the midi in of the Yamaha Motif"

Are you using MIDI cables or USB? If you are using MIDI you shouldn't need any cable going to the MIDI in of the controller, and I don't know why you'd need anything attached to the Thru.

I've been using Cubase with controllers for 20+ years and you only need 1 MIDI cable coming out of the controller. The only time you need a MIDI cable going into a controller is to load the tweaks into a controller you've made if you lost them and had saved them.

I'm not sure if I got what you're saying but for starters unplug all but the cable going from the controller to Cubase and see what happens.

Thanks alot!!!

Like I said... I am new to using midi controllers... and I just did what it said... but I unhooked it all and just ran the midi out of keyboard into the midi in of the RME 800, and midi out of the 800 into the Motif... I wanted to run through my interface so i can use midi editing in cubase... But it works like a champ now!!! I really appreciate your help!!!

Like I said... I am new to using midi controllers... and I just did what it said... but I unhooked it all and just ran the midi out of keyboard into the midi in of the RME 800, and midi out of the 800 into the Motif... I wanted to run through my interface so i can use midi editing in cubase... But it works like a champ now!!! I really appreciate your help!!!

No problem. You had a MIDI loop going around and around and...

You could have turned off the inputs and outputs in Cubase to get the same result.

The best thing is to do what you did: get the system working as simply as you can, then add stuff on. Otherwise it's too overwhelming and you can't pinpoint any problems.

Back