Cubase LE tutorial

travelin travis

I'm writing a tutorial on the basics of Cubase LE. It will cover setting up an audio/midi interface, creating a first template, setting up vsti's/vst's, recording audio/midi, and basic editing. It's intended for first time users of Cubase LE. Does anyone have any suggestions on other things that should be covered?

I'm probably going to use Google Pages but I'd like to hear any other suggestions for free web space.

Is there any interest in this or has everyone already gone to Reaper? :D

I use LE, but I doubt I'd be any help. I probably use it at about 10% of its capability. It seems to be very capable and easy to use. I figured it out pretty much on my own and I'm a recording newbie and a computer retard.The only thing I don't like about it is that it only has 2 master effects sends. But oh well. I live with it.

I'd love to read your tutorial though. I'm always up for learning something new. :p

Lots of interfaces come bundled with LE, so I'm sure there'd be interest. Shit, I'd even read it to make sure I was going about stuff right! I think you should put something in it about monitoring through Cubase, 16-bit vs 24-bit vs 32 bit recording, different processing techniques (normalise, Phase reverse etc). Maybe somehting about the plug ins that come with LE?

I think monitoring should definitely be on the list. I remember how much trouble I had with it when I started using a pc for recording (feedback!). Good call.

The included effects and instruments are pretty lame but I'm going to use them anyway for the walk thru. I guess I could add links to some decent freebie plugs at the end.

I'll mention 16/24/32 bit recording, although I don't know a hell of alot about it myself. :D

Greg_L, has there been anything in Cubase LE that you could'nt figure out on your own or anything that's confusing?

Thanks guys.

TravisinFlorida said:
I think monitoring should definitely be on the list. I remember how much trouble I had with it when I started using a pc for recording (feedback!). Good call.

The included effects and instruments are pretty lame but I'm going to use them anyway for the walk thru. I guess I could add links to some decent freebie plugs at the end.

I'll mention 16/24/32 bit recording, although I don't know a hell of alot about it myself. :D

Greg_L, has there been anything in Cubase LE that you could'nt figure out on your own or anything that's confusing?

Thanks guys.
Yeah, there have been lots of things that I had trouble with, but once I figured it out, I realized that the answer was right in front of me the whole time. Like multi-tracking. I have a firepod now, but I started with a Tascam US-122. It only has 2 inputs, and it took me forever to figure out how to record 2 mono tracks at once. Actually, I think it was you that walked me through it if I remember correctly. I think the most important thing before using any recording software is to know the terminology. Things like 'sends', 'inserts', 'plug-ins', 'volume envelopes', 'buses' etc. if you don't know what these things are, even reading the manual doeesn't help at all. LE is supposed to be an 'entry' level software, so maybe including a pretty in-depth glossary would be a good idea. I wish i had one when i got started.

Greg_L said:
Yeah, there have been lots of things that I had trouble with, but once I figured it out, I realized that the answer was right in front of me the whole time. Like multi-tracking. I have a firepod now, but I started with a Tascam US-122. It only has 2 inputs, and it took me forever to figure out how to record 2 mono tracks at once. Actually, I think it was you that walked me through it if I remember correctly. I think the most important thing before using any recording software is to know the terminology. Things like 'sends', 'inserts', 'plug-ins', 'volume envelopes', 'buses' etc. if you don't know what these things are, even reading the manual doeesn't help at all. LE is supposed to be an 'entry' level software, so maybe including a pretty in-depth glossary would be a good idea. I wish i had one when i got started.

Good call. I should write a separate page on mixer routing as a prerequisite to the Cubase LE tutorial. It's damn hard trying to figure out a software mixer when you don't know how a hardware mixer works. I might be biting off more than I can chew. :D I guess there should be a section explaining the different types of plugins too..........and effect processor parameters.

I might point readers else where for some of this stuff. I'll do the mixer page for sure.

TravisinFlorida said:
Good call. I should write a separate page on mixer routing as a prerequisite to the Cubase LE tutorial. It's damn hard trying to figure out a software mixer when you don't know how a hardware mixer works. I might be biting off more than I can chew. :D I guess there should be a section explaining the different types of plugins too..........and effect processor parameters.

I might point readers else where for some of this stuff. I'll do the mixer page for sure.
Lol. Yeah, you're taking on quite a project.

Here's something you can explain right now: hitpoints. i have no idea what they are or how to use them.

Travis, one thing i noticed about home-recording, is the more questions you ask, the less you seem to know! Theres SO much info...but I do think something on mixer routing and LE would suffice. Like Greg, I started with a Tascam US 122...in fact, I'm still using it! There are still times I get mental blocks about basic principles of recording. I guess my point is writing a tutorial on ONLY one aspect of recording would be tough...if ya wanna talk about a sequencer, ya kinda feel inclined to mention something about interfaces, PCs, monitors, pre amps...ya get my point!

Greg_L, rtfm!...........................just kidding. :D

Hit Points are essentially markers that let you chop up audio. For example, you have imported a sample from vinyl, say an area of the record that only contains a drum beat. Hit points attempt to automatically detect the transients in the drum beat for easy slicing. It's basically just an easy way to slice up audio. I've never needed to use it myself. I won't cover anything that I haven't used myself. I don't want to put a bunch of bad info out there. :D

I think the overall plan for now is to cover the basics of Cubase LE and the basics of a mixer, which I think is essential to understanding routing. I'll provide links to other pages for things like plugins, daw setup, etc. and maybe add my own pages on this stuff later on.............or not. :D

I'm not sure why I'm even doing this. I suppose it's because I remember how much time I wasted learning to use Cubase and always thought that there should be a good, easy to understand walk thru on the subject. I think LE info gets neglected because it's a freebie product.

TravisinFlorida said:
Greg_L, rtfm!...........................just kidding. :D

Hit Points are essentially markers that let you chop up audio. For example, you have imported a sample from vinyl, say an area of the record that only contains a drum beat. Hit points attempt to automatically detect the transients in the drum beat for easy slicing. It's basically just an easy way to slice up audio. I've never needed to use it myself. I won't cover anything that I haven't used myself. I don't want to put a bunch of bad info out there. :D

I think the overall plan for now is to cover the basics of Cubase LE and the basics of a mixer, which I think is essential to understanding routing. I'll provide links to other pages for things like plugins, daw setup, etc. and maybe add my own pages on this stuff later on.............or not. :D

I'm not sure why I'm even doing this. I suppose it's because I remember how much time I wasted learning to use Cubase and always thought that there should be a good, easy to understand walk thru on the subject. I think LE info gets neglected because it's a freebie product.
Lol. Well, thats what I thought they were, but I have never needed to mess with them, so I thought maybe I was missing out on something important. :p

TelePaul said:
Travis, one thing i noticed about home-recording, is the more questions you ask, the less you seem to know!

I hear ya there. It seems like you have to know a little bit about everything to get going in recording. I'm surprised that I ever made it thru at all. :eek:

Greg_L said:
Lol. Well, thats what I thought they were, but I have never needed to mess with them, so I thought maybe I was missing out on something important. :p

If you ever start getting strong urges to write some hip hop, you might want to check it out. :p There's some cool stuff out there that use slices other than hip hop though. I'm pretty sure Sublime used slices in some of there stuff.

TravisinFlorida said:
If you ever start getting strong urges to write some hip hop, you might want to check it out. :p There's some cool stuff out there that use slices other than hip hop though. I'm pretty sure Sublime used slices in some of there stuff.
Haha. Me and hip-hop go together like muslims and jews. I come from the old school of trying to actually have some skill at playing actual music with actual instruments. I don't even do MIDI. I'm strictly a drums, bass, and guitar kind of guy. :p

you're gonna cover Busses and sends yeah? Then I'd definetely read it; I'm not entirely sure how to group effects and stuff.

Yep. I've been working on it over the last couple of days. I have a long way to go.......... :eek: Just to think, I could be wasting more time in the Cave.

..........Mixer section, MIDI section, Glossary, Setting up an interface..........oh and the Cubase LE tutorial. :D

I've got the thing outlined and am trying to flesh out the Mixer section and Cubase LE tutorial first. It might be a while yet.

yea defininately explain the vst effects BS. I dont understand what VST inputs and outputs are. And how can you mix and monitor "live" in Cubase from the input signal from the interface . <<<<Did that make sense?

And whats the difference between the send effects and insert effects? And once again is there a way to hear the input signal processed "live".

THose are my biggest questions.

Back