Cubase LE tutorial

myhatbroke said:
i don't have time TELE! :p

edit:what the hell is taking you so long travis?

Okay you have to do SOME of the work. What Ideally will happen si that if you apply reverb to a track, you'll hear reverb when you monitor through Cubase. Depending on your sound card, there might be latency (the time it takes to input the sound, process it, and output it).

TelePaul said:
Okay you have to do SOME of the work. What Ideally will happen si that if you apply reverb to a track, you'll hear reverb when you monitor through Cubase. Depending on your sound card, there might be latency (the time it takes to input the sound, process it, and output it).
Yea i understand that but what I'm asking is if the processed signal comes back to my interface or does it go to the pc sounds card. Cus my when my interface is hooked up, my pc soundcard get's deactivated.

myhatbroke said:
Yea i understand that but what I'm asking is if the processed signal comes back to my interface or does it go to the pc sounds card. Cus my when my interface is hooked up, my pc soundcard get's deactivated.

Everything will go through your interface, it'll come out your monitors/headphones.

TelePaul said:
Everything will go through your interface, it'll come out your monitors/headphones.
Ahh I see. But the disadvantage is that it'll lag, correct?

Oh and another thing, what is the diff. between using an interface and a Mixer with a usb connection?

myhatbroke said:

Oh and another thing, what is the diff. between using an interface and a Mixer with a usb connection?

It MAY lag...the extent to which it does depends on the processes running and your sound card. It'll probably be workable if you're using an ASIO driver.

Well how many inputs does your lambda have? I THINK some USB mixers have seperate outs....meaning you can route a mixer channel to its own Cubase track (like having 8/12/16 whatever inputs on your interface). Thats only my thought, I'm not 100% sure.

TelePaul said:
It MAY lag...the extent to which it does depends on the processes running and your sound card. It'll probably be workable if you're using an ASIO driver.

Well how many inputs does your lambda have? I THINK some USB mixers have seperate outs....meaning you can route a mixer channel to its own Cubase track (like having 8/12/16 whatever inputs on your interface). Thats only my thought, I'm not 100% sure.
it has two inputs. It also has the loop thing but thats it. Oh and a headphone output and left and right 1/4 outputs.

And yea, I like that about having a mixer. They are basically the same price yet they have more channels,eqs and faders. So why did I get an interface?? Whats the advantage

myhatbroke said:
it has two inputs. It also has the loop thing but thats it. Oh and a headphone output and left and right 1/4 outputs.

And yea, I like that about having a mixer. They are basically the same price yet they have more channels,eqs and faders. So why did I get an interface?? Whats the advantage

I don't think they're the same price. If they are, the Pres are probably shit on them. Your Lambda and my Tascam I think are intended for singer-songwriters...you'd wanna be crazy to try and track a drum kit. You have me curious about USB mixers though....hmm. Should you post about it in the newbie forum? Or should I?

myhatbroke said:
i don't have time TELE! :p

edit:what the hell is taking you so long travis?

I'm slow. You'll likely read my tutorial so what does that say about you? :D

Seriously, I still have a long way to go. Myhatbroke, to monitor a live input with effects, go to Devices > Device Setup > VST Multitrack > Setup tab and make sure Direct Monitoring is unchecked. Make sure the Monitor button (speaker icon) is on.

Is this diagram understandable for explaining Inserts and Sends?

Attachments

• Insert and Send.png
    Insert and Send.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 44
TravisinFlorida said:
I'm slow. You'll likely read my tutorial so what does that say about you? :D

Seriously, I still have a long way to go. Myhatbroke, to monitor a live input with effects, go to Devices > Device Setup > VST Multitrack > Setup tab and make sure Direct Monitoring is unchecked. Make sure the Monitor button (speaker icon) is on.

Is this diagram understandable for explaining Inserts and Sends?
well you have to explain what an insert and a send is to me :p

TravisinFlorida said:
Hit Points are essentially markers that let you chop up audio. For example, you have imported a sample from vinyl, say an area of the record that only contains a drum beat. Hit points attempt to automatically detect the transients in the drum beat for easy slicing. It's basically just an easy way to slice up audio. I've never needed to use it myself. I won't cover anything that I haven't used myself. I don't want to put a bunch of bad info out there. :D
What did you just say? :confused: :D

TelePaul said:
I don't think they're the same price. If they are, the Pres are probably shit on them. Your Lambda and my Tascam I think are intended for singer-songwriters...you'd wanna be crazy to try and track a drum kit. You have me curious about USB mixers though....hmm. Should you post about it in the newbie forum? Or should I?
Well I wouldn't want to mic drums but I'd like to have 3 mics at once for my amp. And later on, I'd like to just have all the mics set permanently, and that would take a few channels.

Okay...here is something that has me pulling out my hair. How do I split the tracks I record up? Say I recorded bass, vox and click track...how do I save each track individually before I mix down?

Also, I know that cubase automatically saves the projects, but I cannot find where. I looked in my folders and nothing? Only the ones I mixed down..:confused:

I'm sure it is simple, but my bwain is apparently more simple.

Yeah, I am manual handicapped.

true-eurt said:
Okay...here is something that has me pulling out my hair. How do I split the tracks I record up? Say I recorded bass, vox and click track...how do I save each track individually before I mix down?

Also, I know that cubase automatically saves the projects, but I cannot find where. I looked in my folders and nothing? Only the ones I mixed down..:confused:

When you first start the project it asks you where you want to save it.

When you record, all those wav files are being saved in the audio folder.

And why do you want to save each individually? That's pointless, it beats the purpose of having a multi track software.

true-eurt said:

You might have to export them as their own audio file and load em that way. Hi True!!

TelePaul said:
You might have to export them as their own audio file and laod em that way. Hi True!!
But whats the point in that? Unless she wants to send her vox to someone seperately.

myhatbroke said:
But whats the point in that? Unless she wants to send her vox to someone seperately.

yeah that, or use the same vox for a different mix/arrangement? It's how I'd do it.

myhatbroke said:
well you have to explain what an insert and a send is to me :p

Inserts and sends are just patch points (inputs/outputs) in the signal path. That's all. Place any effect between the insert in and out, and you have an insert effect. Place any effect between send in and out, and you have a send effect. The difference between the two is an insert effect is placed directly in the signal chain and affects the entire signal. A send effect is placed in a copy of the signal chain and then mixed back with the original signal at the output buss. In this way, the amount of effect is controllable. Can you see why it wouldn't be a good idea to use a compressor or eq as a send effect?

myhatbroke said:

Actually a usb mixer is a type of interface. A sound card is a interface too. A mixer with a usb connection offers the additional functionality of a mixer. Take a multi input/output sound card and a traditional mixer and you have the same functionality. A sound card usually just has audio line ins/outs. A box that is usually labeled as an interface, like a Firepod for example, has audio line ins/outs with the addition of mic preamps and a couple of hiz inputs. Add mic preamps to a sound card and you have the same functionality as something like a Firepod. Interface is a broad term.

true-eurt said:
What did you just say? :confused: :D

I said goobaly gobbaly...........

Hitpoints are markers placed at transients in a waveform......like a snare drum hit or kick drum hit. The hitpoint calculator looks for spikes in the waveform. After the calculator has found all the spikes and marked them, you can use these points to cut up the waveform or extract the timing. Say for example, you have a Zepplin track with a kick ass drum solo. You can use hitpoints to roughly find all the drum hits. After all the hitpoints are marked, you can dice up the track and steal the individual snare and kick hits for rearranging in any way that you want.

myhatbroke said:
When you first start the project it asks you where you want to save it.

When you record, all those wav files are being saved in the audio folder.

And why do you want to save each individually? That's pointless, it beats the purpose of having a multi track software.
Yes Hat..I know there is an audio folder...nothing is in it.

Must there be a specific reason why? But yeah, sometimes I am admist a new creation and I decide I would like another bass rhythm, so I would like to save the one I have already tracked for future use....maybe the drums too.

How do I save the keep the tracks I am going to be working on and send the ones I want to save for another project to a folder?

Back